Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Body by science workout anyone doing it? page 2

kfine Guest

Shop Now

It feels wrong to me as well to "only" do one super slow workout per week...I normal do 3 free weight based compound full body workouts and 2-3 sprint workouts. I just came across this book. The concept seems really interesting, and it is going against conventional wisdom :0)

I might start with a mix of 1 BBS workout and 2 full body usual workouts (overtraining, I guess) and maybe 1-2 sprints?! More overtraining?! Its hard to find a balance it seems.....thoughts anyone?

Conan Guest

I don't think you are overtraining with what you have listed above. There are people that have amazing results with 3-4 lifting sessions / week and a couple of HIT cardio sessions.

tman Guest

I know for a fact that three total body workouts per week and 2 sprint sessions per week would lead to overtraining in my case. I've done it. I ended up with continuous and severe sore legs as well as pretty severe hip pain. I noticed that when I decreased my workout volume (weights) and eliminated the sprints, I felt better and got stronger. I don't think you have to eliminate the sprints, but if you find yourself struggling with that amount of work, try decreasing it/manipulating the volume until you come to something that works for you. It's an experiment of one.

Conan Guest

Sprints take a lot out of me so I only do them once / week. 2 times per week was too much. I can still lift 3-4 times / week with no problems though.

maranne is offline Senior Member

@tman,

thanks for your ideas! I am currently in the Uk but there is not a nice gym where I live. Since I will be leaving to live in Austria again, I will probably join my old gym for various reasons such as space to work out properly, and the wellness area (saunas etc.) is amazing.So all in all it will be worth it to me.

Besides all that I am planning on skiing again in the winter and keeping up with my walking and yoga.

M

kfine Guest

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I will try it and see how it goes, I am used to the more is better idea (which I know is wrong!)

Dream Guest

I've been doing the "Body by Science" workout for over 6 months now with great results. I was actually featured on the BBS homepage not long ago

http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?p=618

I can't recommend it highly enough.

-Anthony

miata is online now Senior Member
    Any additional folks doing BBS these days?

I just started a few weeks back and like it so far. I've tried with equipment at home as well as two different sets of machines at the work gym. I am still getting oriented, but so far I really like it. I also break the rules by trying 5 days between workouts -- and have added a few additions to the big 5 that I will probably alternate.

Big 5: leg/chest/overhead press, narrow front pull-downs and rows
    Additions: wide rear pull-downs, hamstring curls, chest curls

In addition, i started doing a bunch of plank variations and other core stuff as a warm-up. I plan on adding sprints to the mix when my calf muscle recovers from a bad five fingers transition.

I would love to hear how other BBS'ers are dealing with frequency and workout variations. My gut feel is that every 5 days is right for now, but I hope to get to once a week once I get in shape.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    I did it for a little while using free weights. It was more mentally challenging than anything else. Not sure I got much stronger either. I'm not sure that I buy into the whole concept. If you practice moving very slowly then it seems to me that you just get good at moving slowly. Not very functional.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Been doing it for over a year now. Still going strong. I hit it up 1-2x/week and even skip a week every couple months or so. Strength gains are slow but consistent (I'm not gonna get any noob gains). Translates well to my other activities too. Funny story is that I couldn't do a one leg pistol ass to grass till after doing BBS for a few months. Specificity of training is only legit in terms of sports conditioning and muscle memory. Strength is strength.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast