Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein shake/mass gainer bad for me? page

binky30 is offline Junior Member

Protein shake/mass gainer bad for me?

Shop Now
    I have been weight lifting for 12 years and recently (one month ago) started crossfit and the primal lifestyle. I noticed (with the absence of grains and not replacing with enough vegetables) that my muscle mass has decreased. I dont want to lose too much muscle mass and therefore purchased a mass gainer protein powder. It contains a whey protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, and calcium caseinate as the protein blend. It also has a creatine matrix with added amino acids.

I am experiencing intestinal cramping/gas approximately 30 minutes after drinking a shake. Im assuming the soy isolate is the main culprit??

Does anyone have any suggestions on what a better protein powder would be that wont be harmful to my body and still allow me to add muscle?

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Soy does that to me, too.

darkfault is offline Junior Member
    I don't think you are losing muscle mass, your muscles just appear smaller when they are drained of glycogen and water. Creatine can help give the more full look. Upping your carbs is another way to acheive this.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like garbage. Eat more broccoli instead.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Lovelessk is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkfault View Post
    I don't think you are losing muscle mass, your muscles just appear smaller when they are drained of glycogen and water. Creatine can help give the more full look. Upping your carbs is another way to acheive this.
    Spot on. Most of the water weight you lost was straight from your organs and muscles. In a few weeks, you will feel much "harder" than when you eat high carb. You also wont register correctly on fat measurement scales for a while (not that they stay accurate, but +/- 5 is better than +/- 10).

Unless you cut your calories or had a medical reason you stayed out of ketosis, you wont have lost much real muscle mass. The short term transition is catabolic, but the weight loss is muscle sparring so it tends to even out for most folks.

binky30 is offline Junior Member
    Ok. Thanks for the replies. I understand that my muscle mass hasnt been decreased. Instead, its the current lack of grains that were previously adding water and glycogen to my muscles causing them to look fuller. My protein powder has creatine and added carbs so thats good but I need to find one without the added soy. Is really messes with my intestines!

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    Craft your own. Get a whey or eggwhite powder that doesn't have soy or artificial sweeteners (stevia should be ok, a la Jay Robb or MRM). Find a good casein with similar qualifications. If you want a blend entirely your own, go to True Protein.com and get a custom mix. There, you can dictate everything. Good prices too. I'd add full-fat coconut milk or raw milk to the powder, along with some water if desired. Add in some fruit like a banana and bam, instant post-workout yummies. Oh, or pre-cooked sweet potato! You can of course eat real food too, but sometimes after I work out I have no appetite for hours afterward, so I can understand going for a shake.

And yeah, it's very very unlikely you've lost muscle. Eat something carby, do some pushups and suddenly you'll have manly man biceps again. Magic!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixflame View Post
    Craft your own. Get a whey or eggwhite powder that doesn't have soy or artificial sweeteners (stevia should be ok, a la Jay Robb or MRM). Find a good casein with similar qualifications. If you want a blend entirely your own, go to True Protein.com and get a custom mix. There, you can dictate everything. Good prices too. I'd add full-fat coconut milk or raw milk to the powder, along with some water if desired. Add in some fruit like a banana and bam, instant post-workout yummies. Oh, or pre-cooked sweet potato! You can of course eat real food too, but sometimes after I work out I have no appetite for hours afterward, so I can understand going for a shake.

And yeah, it's very very unlikely you've lost muscle. Eat something carby, do some pushups and suddenly you'll have manly man biceps again. Magic!
    You read my mind. I was even gonna recommend True Protein. I use their BCAA Boost pre-workout and have some of my own blends from them. Good stuff.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Guys/Gals, thanks for mentioning TrueProtein. I think I looked at it a couple years ago, but wasn't as interested in supplements back then.

@IcarianVX: I checked out the BCAA Boost, and it looks awesome other than the food starch and maltodextrin. I tried their custom thing and it didn't have caffeine and green-tea powder on the list. You think they would make a blend of their BCAA boost just minus the last three ingredients if I asked real nice? I've been taking just plain BCAAs because they're dirt cheap, but they taste like ass and don't mix AT ALL. I used Purple Wraath for a while and liked it, especially when the Beta Alanine made me tingly, haha. But it's more expensive and has some ingredients I'd rather avoid. Any suggestions?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I think the guys at True Protein would be willing to do that. I have talked to Dante quite a bit over there (via forums) and he has made accommodations for others on that front. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
    I too like Beta Alanine but the stuff in BCAA Boost doesn't do the tingly thing. I get it from other BA supps (like Biotests) but I haven't taken those in awhile either.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast