Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brain-ercise... page

spacecowboy614 Guest

Primal Fuel

I was just curious, because I don't see it mentioned much on the forums:

What are some of your favorite ways to exercise your mind?

Guitar, drawing, reading, and meditation are my go-tos, but I'm interested in new ideas.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Math. Brain aerobics.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I love doing sudokus and word finds - word finds aren&#39;t particularly brainy I guess as far as actual THINKING goes, but... well let&#39;s say I&#39;m quickest in the mornings and after a nap, and really slow at them when I&#39;m sleepy.

Sudoku rocks though!

I like to read too but... it&#39;s not like my favorite hobby ever.

I also enjoy playing piano but I don&#39;t have one or even a keyboard so I haven&#39;t played in years. Gotta get a keyboard (good one) one of these days. I would buy one of the many pianos I always see on craigslist, but we move a LOT and that is rough on such a precision instrument - has to be tuned every time you move it too.

Memorize your favorite poems, or favorite songs so you can 100% recite/sing them without assistance/hints/music.

Studying a foreign language of course is good too. If you have time you can join a local conversation group for whatever language you choose.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Tutoring kids is also a great brain workout - not just because it refreshes the subject matter in your mind, but also because you have to think of multiple ways to interpret the same information so you can explain it to the kid in a way he/she will "get it." (since likely the reason he/she needs tutoring is that the most obvious way didn&#39;t make sense to the kid)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

maba is offline Senior Member

Other than reading Paleo-related findings, nothing really I used to go for voice lessons but gave it up after I discovered MDA. I was so fascinated with what I read here that I didn&#39;t find time to do other stuff. But I&#39;m thinking of resuming my music classes.

I occasionally play Sudoku.

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

Reading, trivia/quiz games like Buzz (hard to find opponents though). I have the DS with the brain training games, but haven&#39;t played them in ages. Maybe I&#39;ll dust that off?

maba is offline Senior Member

And I love, love, love Trivia and quizzes, but yeah, hard to find people to play with. May be we should start a Quiz Club.

oh i haaaaaate trivia but i love word games like Taboo, Scattergories, Apples to Apples. Not a huge fan of scrabble though. I like games where you have to think, but not games based on what you know. Does that make sense? haha.

London Mike is offline Junior Member

I just had a forum conversation with my EF buddies here in the UK (no PB meet up group yet - on my to do list...) We were talking about how the prefrontal cortex is largely responsible for willpower and I remembered I had one of those Nintendo DS Lite handheld gizmos gathering dust in a cupboard. I bought it with a brain training program and it was always going on about how the exercises trained the prefrontal cortex. My brain definitely needs a workout so it&#39;s on charge as I type

I&#39;ve read that people who play a musical instrument or speak foreign languages have significantly improved mental dexterity - which is why I want to start learning French or Spanish this year and get a decent keyboard.

I also love Sudoku. Oh crap, I&#39;ve just remembered why the DS Lite was in the back of the cupboard - it&#39;s got Sudoku on it and I was up till 3am most nights solving puzzles...

London Mike is offline Junior Member

Uh, wug, you posted the dusting off the DS Lite thing before I sent my post!

At least I&#39;m not the only one...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast