Thread: Avoiding foods because of nutrients page

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member

Avoiding foods because of nutrients

Shop Now
    I was chatting w/ neighbors (women in their 70's) and the conversation came around to the litany of pills the Dr's have them on. One is taking 2 for blood pressure, 1 for cholesterol, 1 for "sugar" ( I assume pre-diabetic), warfarin and pain meds for arthritis.

The kicker is the list of foods containing nutrients that will interfere w/ said meds that are to be avoided which naturally include anything remotely healthy.

Now the doc wants to add an anti-depressant to this pill stew. I don't see how you wouldn't be depressed given the protocol currently prescribed. It all just seems so wrong. Like your living out your final years in a kind of suspended decrepitude. If I drop tomorrow I'll be at peace but more than anything I wish to avoid a conventional and all to common fate.

My recent weight loss was mentioned and I said that the impetus was the 3rd pill my Dr. was recommending for high blood pressure (along w/ baby aspirin which is effectively warfarin lite in terms of its use) when clearly the problem was the extra 75#'s I was carrying around. But folks don't seem open to the primal message even as a soft-sell.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    It is amazing to me the number of people who would rather swallow pills and even inject medications rather than change the way they eat and move. I can't wrap my head around it.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm already avoiding a crapload of foods because they give me migraines. Add in foods that aren't healthy or Primal and it's quite a list.

I swear, if my doc put me on a pill and then told me I had to avoid another food, I'd probably go postal.

But then again, that's the whole reason why I'm avoiding the crap foods in the first place - so I don't end up with a Ziploc full of pill bottles.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    It all just seems so wrong. Like your living out your final years in a kind of suspended decrepitude. If I drop tomorrow I'll be at peace but more than anything I wish to avoid a conventional and all to common fate.
    Me too dude, me too. This whole trip from Atkins to Primal for me was instigated by this pill-crazy culture - I refuse!

Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    ...clearly the problem was the extra 75#'s I was carrying around. But folks don't seem open to the primal message even as a soft-sell.
    You noticed that? LOL. It's a vicious circle though - patients expect to be handed a pill to solve all their problems, and doctors willingly oblige.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    It is amazing to me the number of people who would rather swallow pills and even inject medications rather than change the way they eat and move. I can't wrap my head around it.
    There are lots of folks for whom Dr's still walk on water and they will follow the advice somewhat blindly. It's not as if they are being given alternatives. My doc, for one, never once suggested I lose weight by any method, conventional or not.

I'm surprised even by the number of folks that post here about "handling" or "convincing" their Dr's about primal and its efficacy. I've largely given up, I don't think they promote health and are only worthwhile for cancer screening or acute complaints. I also don't blame them, I think they've been bullied by the insurance companies and gelded by the mal-practice attorneys. Couple this w/ the perverse incentives of Medicare and elders are almost doomed.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    To the elderly, docotrs are like gods. They do not question them. If they say take a pill they take it. They tend not to listen wheitcomes to lifestyle changes though...

Here's one for you. May people take Coumadin (warfarin) to keep blood from clotting and causing a stroke. If you eat vitamin K it skews with the med and messes with your PT/INR (a measure of blood viscosity) . The problem is, Coumadin causes calcium build up in the coronary arteries. Vitamin K (which they can't have) clears calcium from the arteries.

So they trade a potential stroke for a potential heart attack.

Yeah, it's the "K" that's in all of the good stuff like the dark green leafy vegetables.

Warfarin is being given out like halloween candy. "The study found that warfarin use increased from 2.3% of all patients in 2003 to 4% in 2006. Among patients over 65 warfarin use increased from 7.3% to 12.8%."

That's 2006! I can't find a more recent # but that's just crazy. Study in reference to increased risk of death from trauma w/ warfarin use. Study raises concerns about trauma treatment in growing population on warfarin CardioBrief
    I work w/ a guy that nicked himself and it looked like he was going to bleed out, it wouldn't stop. It also precipitates untold trips to the office for bloodwork and adjustment of the dose etc. It's absolute heresy but I think folks would be better off without Medicare at all for routine care, they are so ill-served.