Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear? page

jennf is offline Senior Member

Bear?

Primal Fuel
    Can anyone tell me what bear tastes like? It's hunting season here in MA and my friend's son got a big black bear. She's offering me a bear steak to try, but I'm not sure I should. Just wondering how different it is from other red meats. I was thinking if nothing else

Thoughts?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Don't eat it rare - unless you want some nasty wormies infections

I've eaten it once. Not something I'd consider a food item. I just felt strange eating something like that. It's just not "Prey" enough for me.

It was tangy and stringy, but I don't think it was a good piece of meat. It wasn't gross, just instinctively and psychologically uncomfortable.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, that's kind of where I am with it. I think you hit the nail on the head - I definitely don't think of bear as prey! I think I might pass on this one, and hope she'll share some venison instead!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    FWIW, freezing for 90 days kills most parasites.

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Now I am curious! I have never had bear, but supposedly, the taste of the bear meat depends on what the bear has been eating. I would think they'd be at their best right now, since berry season is winding up, and they would be fattening up to prepare for hibernation.
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

kiss is offline Senior Member
    I, personally, haven't tasted bear, but when I was living between interior Alaska and Yukon Territory a lot of people talked about bear. Apparently, it's at its best when it is hunted during blueberry season. The bears eat a lot of blueberries and the meat is sweeter because of it. At least that's what I was told.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Yum! Try it. Black bears are good eating(so long as they haven't been scavenging a carcass.) Fall bear should be fat on berries

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    FWIW, freezing for 90 days kills most parasites.
    For that to mean anything, you'd have to know which fall into the dead and not dead catagories. If any of the "not deads" are real harmful, freezing for 90 days won't mean much.

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    I had it in a soup once. Yech! Tasted stringy and greasy. I'll try anything (except horse, but that's just for nostalgic reasons) but I have no desire to try bear again.

Best predatory animals I've eaten are alligator and shark. Oh, and pig. If you don't believe me those things are savage, put it in a pen with a chicken and be scarred for life.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I have had it, once, never again.........
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast