Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Resistance Thread page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I'm taking the ball Anand suggested and starting a leptin resistance thread. Especially because I have been on what should be a leptin sensitivity increasing diet for the last few days.

(My father finally died a week ago today, so for a number of weeks before hand I was eating whatever was convenient. Today is my parent's 66th wedding anniversay.)

I reviewed on line, um, reviews of The Rosedale Diet and Mastering Leptin books. The former tends run about WHAT you eat (cut the saturated fats, increase MUFA's) and the second more about HOW you eat, meaning at least 5 hours between 3 meals a day.

I've sort of combined the two. Lots of olive oil, some butter and CO, moderate protein, low carb. Mostly, just waiting between meals. I do miss that eatertainment, the flavor fun, but as to hunger, it's not there. And sometimes I'm honest with myself and postpone a meal.

I'm running 70-75% fats, 100-110 grams of protein (I have about 177 pounds LBM, so that's in line), and 30-ish grams of carbs. I'm eating a lot of salad as a low carb eatertainment, and good veggies, of course.

The psychologically noticable event is I look at things like the grapes and orange juice which were for my dad and I have zero interest in them. Or the carby foods out everywhere in the nursing home where my mother is. Zip-ola desire.

I also notice about fifteen minutes after eating a nice, fatty meal that my metabolism is jacked up. And yes, I've lost two pounds.

maba is offline Senior Member

OTB, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he wasn't in much pain and that he rests in peace.

Incidentally, I too was just reading up about Leptin after being intrigued by Anand's post and was going to start a Leptin 101 thread. I'm on a 3-week no-fruit, no-sweetener-of-any-kind, no-starch fast (like South Beach's first phase but with higher amount of fat)since the beginning of the year and I've lost 2 lbs - a first for me since I became Primal. I'm also trying to cut out eatertainment as that used to be (still is?) my biggest problem. And because I've told myself that I can't eat certain things, I don't feel tempted when I look at fruit and dark chocolate. I wonder how the absence of these foods is affecting my leptin sensitivity.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

OTB, I didn't know your father had passed, may he rest in peace.

I hope you and the rest of your family are holding up okay.

I'm intrigued and off to find Anand's thread!

EDIT - I'm having a dunce day, and would appreciate it if someone could kindly post a couple of links to the original thread or another source of info?

Asturian is offline Senior Member

My condolences also.

I too have a current "hunger" for information regarding the role of leptin and how to control it.

Stephan's Whole Health Source blog has a timely discussion on body fat set points and an upcoming follow-up post very likely to include the role of leptin.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...-setpoint.html

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

OTB:

So sorry for your loss. Just know you have friends everywhere if you want to talk. Do you still have my email address?

Asturian is offline Senior Member

OTB, I didn't know your father had passed, may he rest in peace.

I hope you and the rest of your family are holding up okay.

I'm intrigued and off to find Anand's thread!

EDIT - I'm having a dunce day, and would appreciate it if someone could kindly post a couple of links to the original thread or another source of info?
    Here 'ya go -

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...lateau-busting
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Thank you!

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

Sorry, OTB. I hope you and your family are well and are taking care of yourselves.

Asturian, I too follow the Whole Health Source Blog. He's the one who clued me into Leptin.

It's a fairly new understanding of how the body regulates hunger, in addition to the new discovery of 'brown fat'.

OTB, I'm glad to hear that he is finally not feeling further discomfort. I know that it is a weight off of your shoulders.

I, like you and Maba, must be more restrictive in my diet in order to get anywhere. Again, I need more fat and further fasting times between meals. I'm good here and there, but sometimes just give in, telling myself that "I deserve it". I really, really, really need to modify (eliminate) that mentality.

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @NM: This is the thread where Anand talks about leptin resistance.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-Primal-Wisdom

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast