Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Resistance Thread page 2

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

Kuno, please shoot me a mail again. I know I have your address, but not under "kuno!" pauv youknowwhat paulv.net

Thanks for all the good wishes. Dad died peacefully and without pain in his bed and home of fifty years. The hospice CNA and I were there, the rest of the family was gathering to get here, so they arrived ten minutes later.

My mother broke an arm in two places three weeks ago and has been in the hospital three times and in a nursing home for the last three weeks. It is she who now needs care, a lot more than my father ever did. At least my brother and sister are picking up a lot of that care, which they didn't do so much during Dad's long decline.

So, from the frying pan to the fire....sigh. "LIfe is what happens......" I thought I'd be planning my escape at this time,but noooooooooo.

Oh, yeah, leptin. The thing that made a huge difference in me being able to go hours without eating was knowing that I wasn't just trying to postpone to keep calories down, but I HAVE TO in order to reset my insulin and leptin levels.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

OTB my condolences about your father. I am still not completely familiar with all the details of leptin resistance. I think it is crucial for people like me who are prone to binge eating...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

maba is offline Senior Member

All of Stephan's articles on Leptin:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...h/label/leptin

awriter Guest

I'm glad Leptin Resistance is finally being talked about. Unfortunately, since this problem occurs on the cellular level, neither diet, supplements nor exercise can fix or even affect it. And yes indeed, it can and does cause massive thyroid hormone problems, and therefore outlier high total cholesterol numbers as well.

To learn about the *science* of leptin, see:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Leptin_Resistance

If you apply to join, please mention you heard about us here and don't forget to give your name. We don't accept anonymous members.

Lisa

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Condolences to OTB.

Re: Leptin resistance. I'm confused, then. Are we trying to say that leptin resistance is the major factor in obesity and/or body composition?

I was currently under the working assumption that body composition was controlled "primarily" by insulin and the inversely-related growth hormone. Too much insulin = inability to access fat as fuel, lack of insulin = fat as a fuel is preferred over carb/protein/muscle tissue.

It seems, from what little I've read (about 30 minutes worth), that leptin resistance is a direct result of ingesting too much concentrated-fructose (HFCS, for instance). However, in ingesting so much HFCS, you're going to spike your insulin and weight-gain anyway, right?

Of course, the true underlying cause (of either situation) is the choice of food in our diet, right?

Am I mistaken? Is this a chicken/egg issue?

Thoughts?

Catalina is offline Member

My sympathies, OTB--I know you have felt prepared for this, but still I've found from experience that the loss has an impact. Best wishes for the continued care of your mom.

Thanks for getting this thread started, and thanks, Maba, for that link. Looks like this may be a new important focus (well, new to me!).

maba is offline Senior Member

Mr.M, if you look at Stephan's posts, he says leptin-resistance is a pre-cursor to insulin resistance. Obesity is a result of insulin resistance which in turn could be a result of leptin resistance. But I'll let more-informed people answer your question.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

My condolences OTB.

Just to put my understanding of the issues here.

Leptin is the mechanism by which our body manages its fat deposits. Each Fat cell will release leptin hormone. Its not that simple, but we can understand in a simple way if we assume that it is secreted in direct proportion to the fat stored. So Leptin secretion is increased when more fat is stored.

The brain (hypothalamus) checks Leptin levels to trigger hunger or energy output to increase or reduce fat levels and consequently leptin levels.

Too much fructose or other sugars like Galactose will cause glycation. Glycation is the process of sugars binding to protein or fat without any enzymatic control. Glucose also causes glycation, but to a very low level. It will cause substantial glycation only when glucose is very high for a long time (highly insulin resistant cases).

Leptin will bind to the leptin receptors in the brain, giving information of fat levels to the brain. Sugars also combine with the leptin receptors making the receptors useless.

An obese person is leptin resistant, otherwise the brain will reduce hunger and the fat will be burnt off.

Insulin Resistance is a very different thing. It makes controlling blood glucose levels difficult. It does not cause obesity. It can and does make it difficult to lose fat.

It happens (according to Stephan) because of too much fat around the liver. The leptin secretion causes insulin resistance. Problem of insulin resistance starts from liver. As long as liver is fine you will be fine. It is important to get a liver functionality test, to know how bad the situation is.

Insulin instructs cells to stop using fat, and use glucose instead. This prevents fat loss. So Insulin resistant person cannot lose fat. The only solution is to eat low carb food.

If your fasting and post prandial glucose is fine and you are fat then you are not insulin resistant but merely leptin resistant.

In this case a simple way to lose fat is to make sure that your insulin stays low most of the time, ie eat less number of times. Remember there is no restriction on what you eat, except for bad sugars. Glucose is not a problem.

If your fasting and PP glucose levels are off, then the solution requires going low carb. In this case glucose is bad.

I consider Glucose like Oxygen. It is important for the body, but it is also dangerous. The important thing is that the level remains same. IMO small peaks don't matter in the long run.

@Maba

I think you have misread Stephan. Please read the following again.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...d-lectins.html

The Zucker rats have everything normal except that their leptin receptors are missing. These rats always eat too much and get fat. This happens because the brain has no idea how much fat exists. This is the article where he states "leptin resistance comes before insulin resistance."

He also states that diabetes and heart disease is prevented if the fat around the liver is removed surgically for an obese rat.

It is a very important article.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Just one more point. Its not necessary that insulin resistance only due to visceral fat. After all both happen due to glycation. But for obese people, it would be highly likely that it happens this way.

A quick fix might be (as experiments with zucker rats suggest) to surgically remove the visceral fat. But we already know how to solve the problem with diet alone.

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Very informative post Anand.

I was wondering if you could clear up a couple of things regarding glycation.

Does glycation occur in the liver or the hypothalamus and other leptin receptors? In other words, does glycation occur in situ at protein or fat tissue or does it occur in the liver and then move out through the body via the blood system? Glycation is an oxidative process right?

I thought fructose was completely metabolized by the liver. Galactose is milk sugar right?

I'm not sure I can wholly buy into the furctose only leads to obesity hypothesis.

I have never been a signifcant consumer of either fructose (sodas or juices or fruit) or galactose (dairy) and yet I became obese. Sure some of both did manage to sneak into my diet since after all, HFCS is everywhere now days -- but never was I really into consuming foods rich in fructose or galactose. I do admit however that until about a year ago, my diet was carb-heavy (specifically wheat products potatos, and rice).

I was pre-diabetic, and over the last year on low-carb, I have managed to reverse it and maintain fasting and PP glucose levels between about 70 and 100 throughout a 24/7 schedule.

Perhaps it is more complicated and genetics plays an important part as well.

Nonetheless, I'm facinated about the effects of various environmental stimuli on our hormones and consequently our state of health.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast