Thread: Coconut oil and nut allergies? page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil and nut allergies?

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have any experience with this, directly? I developed life-threatening nut allergies a few years back, and have read mixed info about coconut oil. It is technically a nut, but not sure how much of a chance it is (i.e., people who have allergic reactions to coconut normally aren't allergic to other nuts...and people who are allergic to nuts normally are NOT allergic to coconut.)

However, my nasty experience with almonds and the few times I've gotten a bit of pecan or something make me VERY cautious. Thoughts? Experience?

Darn it, I can eat peanuts and cashews with no problems, allergy wise, but I understand they're no-nos...

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    im allergic to peanuts, pecans and walnuts.. but avoid all nuts except coconut- no problems there
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

oh and almonds are bad for me
    Karin

i would test it in the dr office
    Karin

That's probably a good idea, Karin! I did try a little bit and felt slightly numb, but what sometimes happens with me, with something new, is that it takes 3-4 days of daily use to develop the allergic symptoms, unless it's actual nuts in food. Then it's fairly immediate.

(And by the way I'm doing pretty well with everything except I use moderate dairy--plain organic yogurt, butter, some cheese--and probably too many nightshades right now, 'tis the season!)

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    You could have an allergy... I would do as you are and try it for a few days to see if you notice anything. My allergy symptoms are a bit delayed too (takes a few days for the responses to fully develop). From what I've heard - even though coconut is technically a nut & it's possible to be allergic to it, there aren't typically too many problems with the oil (it is all fat with little or no protein & the proteins of a food are what cause the allergies). It's possible, though.

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Hi. I am allergic to some nuts - those that are not native to where I was born. When I embarked on PB, I bought my first jar of coconut oil and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have always loved coconut. However, somewhere in the middle of my second jar, I noticed that it provoked a lump in my throat. I haven't been tested but I am pretty sure that I will only want to use the rest of the jar as a body lotion of sorts. I still tolerate other coconut products, though.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Body application is where I first developed my nut allergy! It was a hormone replacement cream with almond oil. Took 4 days, but WOW, I almost died! Swollen tongue, fiery skin, sweating, hard to breathe, cramps...ugh.