Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil & weight gain page

Marquette is offline Member

Coconut Oil & weight gain

I love coconut oil and use the Nutivia brand but no matter how much or little I use it makes me gain weight or plateau. I stopped taking it last week and dropped 3 pounds. Anyone else have this problem?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    that's really the only variable you can think of? only would make sense if you were eating spoonfuls of it daily in combination with starches, perhaps. Plenty of people here "abuse" coconut oil and don't have this problem. I don't do so, but when I did I didn't gain weight.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    weird, what are you eating it with?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

typical paleo breakfast of eggs and bacon. I typically do not eat more than a tablespoon a day. My eating habits are rather routine so there isn't really any other variable to take into consideration. I have had this happen over 2 years of experimenting with CO. I was taking up to 3 tablespoons per day for about 2 months and put on over ten pounds. When I stopped taking it the weight came right back off. Two months ago I started back up with it at no more than a tablespoon per day and my weight stalled almost immediately. I jsut wondered if anyone else had this issue

Lunch is a BAS and dinner is usually some form of meat and vegitables
    I really don't snack anymore. Sometimes I only eat two meals per day based on the fact that I am not that hungry.
    Maybe I'm just a freak of nature.
    Last edited by Marquette; 10-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Well then don't have it, but it doesn't really make sense to me. There's nothing inherently in coconut oil that should cause that, the only thing is it could come down to overall calories but at one teaspoon a day that also doesn't make too much sense. You'd have to really be pounding the stuff.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    That's strange. Coconut oil should help you lose weight as 60% of its calories (MCTs) are supposedly unable to be stored as fat.
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
    Maybe I'm just a freak of nature.
    Maybe... MCTs are digested very quickly like sugars, it could be that your body is having an insulin response to them which causes the fat you eat to be stored as fat. I don't know.
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    When you were taking it, were you replacing other fats with it? If you were just spooning it in, then it may just be a calories in/calories out issue, as three tablespoons of coconut oil is roughly 360 calories.

susannahjones is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have that problem with coconut oil.

I belonged to a coconut oil forum for a couple years, and I tried several times, but each time I added it to my diet, I gained weight. I think there were one or two other people who had similar reactions, but they didn't stick around for long.

Also, if I put it on my face or chest, I break out. And I never break out.

Maybe my northern European lineage isn't compatible with coconut oil. I don't know. I put on weight with olive oil, too.

However, I can eat butter and lose weight. Animal fats are much better for me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast