Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil & weight gain

Shop Now
    Wow, I am de-lurking to reply to this thread! Coconut oil makes me gain too! I see the affects almost immediately (It shows up in my face and belly, too.) I am just starting to navigate the fact that I am not a cast-iron dumpster that can tolerate all foods nimbly-bimbly. There are some that really elicit a negative response, and coconut oil is at the top of the list.

It almost seems to be thyroid-related (?) When I made myself work through a good part of a jar I had purchased, (a mistake borne out of thriftiness), my hair got kind of brittle, my skin got dry, and my face looked pale and puffy, in addition to the increased girth. I also felt pretty, well, ...blah. When I replaced it with butter, I improved within days.

I am so, so seriously interested to hear that someone else has an issue with it. We hear that CO is an amazing cure-all, (Libido! Weight loss! Glowing skin! Increased energy! Promotions at work!) that I feel a bit like a freak for the negative experiences. I do want to know if these are signs of food allergies/intolerances (again, new territory for me. I hate to think that I am anything less than invincible.) But, different strokes for different folks.

Funny thing is, I have an Easter European ancestry as well. We thrive on animal fat!!

This is interesting. Coconut oil is anti-bacterial so maybe it is killing off something that negatively effects you? I have heard that virgin oil can be allergenic.

Did you use organic coconut oil? I doubt it would make a difference with weight gain, but it might make a big difference in breaking out. My guess is you would not break out with organic coconut oil used topically.

I'm wondering if I can use coconut oil to GAIN weight, and from your and other posts, it seems obvious I can. But I want to know if the weight you gain was all fat, or do think it was muscle or a combination of each?

Sounds like allergic reactions to me. The body instinctively sequesters undesirable chemicals in its fat, and a reaction to coconut proteins can conceivably fit right in there. Don't eat coconut oil would be my suggestion. Do you handle coconut meat w/o oil ok?

Now I wonder.... I'm not actually eating primal (don't even know the exact way to do that), but have followed a whole foods paleo-like diet for 3.5 years. I do eat some dairy and some grains, but avoid processed foods and added sugars. I've lost about 80 pounds but haven't been able to lose anything for the past year or so doing the same things. In fact, I've gained about 10-12 pounds during that time and it's mostly around my middle. Why I can't shed this has been driving me nuts. Coconut products are basically free on the program I follow and about a year ago I started eating a generous spoonful of Coconut Oil right after my breakfast daily because it's good for me, right?. I've added a morning workout to my day for the last 5 months and I was walking 2.5 miles about 4-5 times a week before that and continue to do so. I'm a 51yo woman, so I've been blaming my hormones for the change in my body's reaction and look. I cook with coconut oil (olive oil and butter too). Now, I really wonder if this could be WHY I'm not losing doing the same things I lost lots of weight with. I haven't had a skin reaction or anything to indicate "allergy", but wow. I am starting my days without the coconut oil beginning tomorrow just to see if it helps. I had no idea.... really thought it was a wonderful superfood!!!!
    Last edited by jrwoemmel; 09-14-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    That's strange. Coconut oil should help you lose weight as 60% of its calories (MCTs) are supposedly unable to be stored as fat.
    Doesn't that simply mean something else will be stored as fat if you are in a calorie surplus?

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Doesn't that simply mean something else will be stored as fat if you are in a calorie surplus?
    Not necessarily, if your insulin hormone is minimized and glucagon is active, your pretty much a fat burning machine. You won't be in storage mode which means the calorie surplus won't matter, you just burn it off before any damage is done. In order for people to get into a calorie surplus, they either have to eat a bunch of shitty processed food that is both insulin spiking and high fat (SaD diet). Or they have to eat such a large volume of whole food that the insulin levels creep up slowly, but due to the volume of food, stay elevated for a while. I think most of us who follow paleo/primal would find that volume of food nearly impossible to reach.

With coconut oil (well virgin coconut oil), most of it is supposed to behave like carbs in regards to energy, where its immediately available to burn, but doesn't carry the insulin impact. This is all news to me too, so I just picked up some virgin coconut oil and will test this out over the next few days. I'm going to be replacing my starchy post-workout carb source with it and see what happens.

I have not problem with coconut oil. We all know that breakfast is most important meal of the day that's why i eat healthy and heavy breakfast like 3 eggs and 2 glass of milk. Lunch: apple or blueberries puff pancake, grilled chicken and dinner: green salad with fruits.

Shop Now
    Bump