Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil & weight gain page 3

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow! This. is. crazy. I actually have thought of Coconut Oil as 'magical', but I guess it's not. This makes me realize...When I've put coconut oil in my coffee, I feel dizzy the whole rest of the day. I didn't have any in my coffee today, and feel fine. I'll have to experiment.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    i've noticed when I take it I swell up in the face and tummy, and it tends to give me body odor, which I normally don't have (well, at least, I don't notice it! )
    I can eat fatty meat to my hearts content without the same effect. I also get this from ghee. Don't know why. But for this reason I have started to avoid both.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

bella is offline Junior Member
    Yes! For me too...it also makes me hungry after taking it...I don't care what anyone says about anything...each body is different :-) and it dose seem like an insulin response...I get a burst of energy, then hunger 30 to an hr later!

bella is offline Junior Member
    * I was using with eggs or lean protein*

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Yeah really don't like. My ancestry is northern European, why would I want to eat something from the tropics?

bluebelle is offline Junior Member
    Same for me!! It's not just coconut oil, but organic, plain coconut milk, too! (no carragenans, etc, just the coconut milk), as well as raw organic coconut flakes. ALL THREE things, alone or in combination, make me gain weight! Moreso the plain coconut milk and flakes. I thought I was crazy and imagining things, but it really is the one variable in my diet. The same thing happens to me with nuts, of any kind, unless they are raw, soaked/sprouted and dehydrated, and even then, I can only eat half a handful or I immediately gain weight. I am really curious as to why on earth this happens. Very relieving to see that I'm not the only one. To note--I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and have trouble digesting animal protein as well, so I had to stop the paleo diet. Raw food diets work for me, 'bout it.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like were circling around an allergy

Megatron is offline Member
    When I was first doing PB I could eat it, literally, by the spoon. I gained about 2 lbs the first week. I lost my taste for it (wonder why?) and stopped eating it, and lost the weight. I don't think I'm allergic, I think I was just eating a lot more calories than I was used to.
    Also, did not find it filling at all.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quickly dropping 3lbs to me sounds like a water retention issue. Food allergy?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I consume around 3 tablespoons per day (I cook with it/put it in my coffee) without unexplainable weight gain or any other problems.

It would be pretty surprising to me if the CO caused that much of a drastic change, but like Magnolia said above, maybe you have some sort of food allergy?

Seems like an odd situation to me...
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast