Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil & weight gain page 2

Marquette is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well I've tried to research coconut oil as much as possible and I have never found anything relating to my issue. No other type of fat causes this reaction but its nice to know I am not alone. I guess misery loves company. Maybe once I hit my goal weight I will incorperate it back into my diet, albiet in small doses. Maybe susannah, you and I have a slight allergy to coconut oil.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Does any of this happen with coconut milk?

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't noticed weight gain, but coconut oil definitely does NOT agree with me. While most people say it decreases their hunger, etc., it makes me absolutely ravenous, not to mention shaky and nauseous. I've found this happens to a lesser extent with anything coconut, but the oil is the worst for me.

It took me a LONG time to figure out what the issue was because everyone is so gung ho about CO around here. I'm glad it works so well for many, but I definitely think some people have the opposite experience.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    yes, maybe you have an allergy? Coconut is considered a tree nut (for allergy purposes) so it's definitely possible. I remember seeing coconut listed on the blood allergy test I took & (thankfully) it did not come up for me.

Marquette is offline Member
    I have never tried using coconut milk in my diet. I might just try it to see if it affects me the same.

jae
    jae is offline Junior Member
    could be you eat bacon every day? one thing to not forget is that some things are high in calories and will effect your body. even avocado or olive oil is still high in calories, regardless of whether they are good fat or bad fat.

Paleobird Guest
    Perhaps a mild allergic reaction is causing an inflammatory response >>water weight gain. There are plenty of other oils and CO is not magic. Yummy yes, magic, no.

CherylB is offline Junior Member

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this!

I have had the same experience with virgin coconut oil. I heard so many people raving about it's benefits and how great it tasted and so I went to Netrition (new here; hope I can say that) and bought a great big expensive tub of it. Whenever I have used it for a few days, I immediately jump up over 2.5 lbs and no matter how I eat, the weight stays right there until I stop taking it.

I was reading here but was surprised to see that no one mentioned the yeast die-off that occurs with coconut oil. I assumed that was what was happening with me and that my body was in a stage of detox. But I just couldn't bear not losing weight while eating a very clean LC diet.

I keep hearing people on the forum I'm most often involved in talking about how great it is, how it makes them feel, etc and I am just feeling a little PO'd that I can't be one of them. I am thinking of waiting until I'm about 10 lbs less than I am right now (because I hate the thought of stalling at this weight) and just committing to a full week of "yeast assault", though I don't know if I really have a yeast problem.

Clearly there is something else going on behind the scenes with those of us who are so sensitive to CO and I hope that it's simply a detox reaction and that in the long run, it will be worth it to "ride it out." I will think on this some more.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I get dizzy from coconut oil, very allergic.

Raine is offline Member
    It just sounds like you are intolerant to coconut, which is a shame but there are plenty of other fats out there thankfully. I have read of other people gaining weight on coconut oil due to an intolerance, it was in an article by a naturopath.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast