Thread: Whey questions page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Whey questions

Hi. I have been reading "Nourishing Traditions" and notice that there are a lot of recipes which use whey. So - I have been separating whey out of my kefir and storing it in a jar in the fridge where it sits, yellow and benign.

How long will it keep for? I should hate it to "go off" when I have spent ages straining the kefir to get i.

Also, if I soak beans /chickpeas in kefir and water, will it help to break down the bad things in beans? I do really miss some things such as lentils in soup in the winter, or stews with haricot beans. IfI could use whey to make them better to eatI'd be delighted.

Also, sauerkraut - I have only made it with salt and like the salty taste. If I use whey, will it taste vastly different?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I'm guessing you'll get better answers on a Weston Price site.

As to shelf life, I would say the same as milk, 1-2 weeks. If you are accumulating it for later use you might freeze it and keep adding to it until you have enough.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    I'm guessing you'll get better answers on a Weston Price site.

As to shelf life, I would say the same as milk, 1-2 weeks. If you are accumulating it for later use you might freeze it and keep adding to it until you have enough.
    Hadn't thought of freezing it... Thanks!