Thread: Q10 in cod liver oil? page

primat is offline Junior Member

Q10 in cod liver oil?

Primal Fuel
    Hi - I read a lot more than I post in here

My mothers on statins (and believes, like her doctor implies, that it's keeping her alive) so I've told her to at least ask if she could take Q10 to adjust for the depleting effect statins has on that coenzyme. When she asked her doctor, the doctor replied that she should not take Q10 supplements, but rather go for cod liver oil instead. Of course I don't mind a good quality oil, but:

I've been trying to find anything on the Q10 contents of cod liver oil - google doesn't seem to know so I'm guessing the amount would be minimal. Also I've never heard cod liver oil mentioned along with Q10 before, and I guess that means either myself or the good doctor is a quack

I figured someone in here might know. (So fond of you all )
    Last edited by primat; 10-12-2011 at 04:07 AM. Reason: typo

H +
    H + is offline Junior Member
    I would suggest asking the doctor why exactly your mother should be taking cod liver oil in relation to the statins (take them anyway) when the question concerned Q10.

If Q10 isn't in cod liver oil then the doctor will have to explain why to take cod liver oil when the original concern was a depletion of Q10.

primat is offline Junior Member
    Little old lady second guessing the doctor and asking for an explanation is unfortunately just as probable as the second coming of christ. However before I try to convince her to do so I need to know wether or not there are Q10 in a useful amount in cod liver oil or not.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Coenzyme Q10 in food

Where is Coenzyme Q10 found? Coenzyme Q10 is primarily found in fish and meat. Our bodies are able to produce some of the CoQ10 that we need. The rest is synthesized from the foods we eat. The highest dietary sources of Coenzyme Q10 come from - in descending order according to content - fresh sardines and mackerel, the heart, liver and meat of beef, lamb and pork along with eggs. There are plenty of vegetable sources of Coenzyme Q10, the richest being spinach, broccoli, peanuts, wheat germ and whole grains - in that order, although the amount is significantly smaller than that found in meats. Also, it is important to note that these foods must be raw, fresh and unprocessed - no milling, canning, preserving, freezing, etc., plus grown/produced in an unpolluted environment to be considered viable sources.
    So I'm guessing there is some in CLO. At least he agreed she should take something. My husband's doctor just dismissed it. "When or if he has muscular problems we'll consider it.". Let's do the damage first? Sure doc.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    Coenzyme Q10 is fat soluble. Check out this post by Chris Masterjohn
    Statins Inhibit Coenzyme Q10 Synthesis.
    He lists various foods and their CoQ10 levels, but not CLO. Organ meat and oils tend to be highest. Put the two together and it makes sense that an organ oil (such as CLO) would be a great source of CoQ10