Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hummous page

Londongalgoneprimal is offline Junior Member

hummous

Primal Fuel
    is hummous allowed!!!??? :-) lol

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Technically, no. It's a legume and they are generally excluded, but there are exceptions. Like green beans and fermented soy (in moderation; don't make tempeh a staple - at least I wouldn't).

However, some Paleo/Primal/Ancestral Health people have lightened up on legumes (see Dr. Kurt Harris). I say if it makes you happy, have some every now and then. There are much worse things. If you're not making it yourself, check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't have crap like soybean/canola oil added.

Boneidle24seven is offline Senior Member
    Hey another Brit primal! I love Hummus too but yodiewan is right, you have to check the contents. I picked one up in tesco the other day that had palm oil in it. I remember reading somewhere that palm oil is pretty crap, so I left it on the shelf. A good hummus will only have olive oil in it but they are hard to find !

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    I opt for baba ganoush.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Hummus is also ridiculously easy to make, so that is probably the best way to ensure quality ingredients. Plus, you get to make all sorts of tasty alterations to the standard flavors.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I just don't buy anything ready made from Tesco, Sainsbury or anything like that. The other day in a supermarket deli I saw olives - in sunflower oil!!!

And I was given some delicious sweet spicy red peppers stuffed with ricotta which were delicious but slicked with oil which I bet was sunflower or soy or something (from Sainsbury).

Londongalgoneprimal is offline Junior Member
    Cool-I was thinking of making baba ganoooosh as aubergines are so great :-) I do loves me some hummus but I'll start to cut back and use baba ganoush instead!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I make a variation on babaganoosh with added roasted red peppers. It's quite yummy. No problem with that unless you're one of the poor unfortunate souls who have to avoid nightshades.

As for the humus, yeah, not primal. But if you make it yourself, you can make it a lot less bad if you soak and even sprout the garbanzos before cooking. That should eliminate a lot of the antinutrients. It's still carbtastic but if you're an active person, that shouldn't be a problem in reasonable portions.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbn1 View Post
    I opt for baba ganoush.
    Ditto. It's creamier, tastier, and less time to make if you take the skins off the chickpeas.
    Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchncoffee View Post
    Hummus is also ridiculously easy to make, so that is probably the best way to ensure quality ingredients. Plus, you get to make all sorts of tasty alterations to the standard flavors.
    +1

it's one of the easiest damn things to make yourself, if you have a little food chopper thingy, and use canned beans. Just put all the ingredients together in the chopper & voila, hummus in a matter of minutes.

however, as much as i like chickpeas, they don't like me, so hummus is one thing that i really don't miss at all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast