Thread: My Introduction page

Backtobasics is offline Junior Member

My Introduction

Hello Everyone!

I'm glad to be here with the Primal crowd. Since I discovered this site, I've been avidly reading as many posts as I've had time to do, literally! I started going Primal about three weeks ago and, little by little, have introduced more and more elements into my daily and weekly routine. I'm very happy with the results so far.

And now I feel the time has come to introduce another element by joining this forum, introduce myself and be part of the conversation going on here.

So, here it is:

My name is Fabio. I was born and raised in Italy and moved to the States some 16 years ago. I'm past my 40s and live in the jungle of skyscrapers called New York City. Just about anything else in life, living in this city carries some advantages and some disadvantages about living Primal.

The advantages are the many local farmers' markets I can buy organic and locally produced food. There are many Ethnic stores (more like wholes in the wall) that cater to niche and local ethnicities (Manhattan is a patchwork of them) where I can find the most "strange" ingredients (lately I found palm oil, directly imported from West Africa at $2.00 the bottle). I can walk relatively comfortable distances to go anywhere I need to go (gym, barber shop, health food store, movie theaters, Central Park, museums, post office, bank, etc.) and fulfill my weekly walking quota.

The disadvantages are the high costs associated with most of my food shopping (with some exceptions). The long hours at the office under artificial light. The intensity and stress. The constant noise. The difficulties when traveling beyond Manhattan for places where I feel surrounded by nature away from the crowd.

How Primal am I? I think I am doing well. I gave up grains and refined carbs completely. It wasn't that hard because I saw them as insulin-spike triggers rather than food. I used to eat yogurt by the gallons (I made it myself) while now I do so sparingly. I've already commuted twice from the office back home on foot (2 hours of walking). Have started Intermitted Fasting. Yesterday I did my first session of sprinting (OMFG!!!). I life really hard now, explosively and I'm amazed how quickly I broke through my plateaus! So, all in all, I think I'm doing well.

Do I drink coffee or tea? I drink coffee first thing in the morning. I used to sweeten it with Sweet and Low (until i read a post on here about its carcinogenic power). Now I use a few drops of liquid Stevia or nothing at all and add a spoonful of ground cinnamon.

My motivation for switching to Primal? I've always been interested in healthy living and good nutrition since I was a teenage (I was a chubby teenager). Now in my 40s, I want to keep enjoying life to the fullest as naturally as possible and want to grow old and stay active, until I drop dead... literally. I find that Primal living makes total sense to me to reach my goal.

My favorite exercise is walking. Next favorite is bench pressing.

Favorite Primal food? Nuts, butter, bacon.

Best part of being Primal? Sustained energy level throughout the day and restful sleep.

Worst part of being Primal? I can't think of any.

So, there, this is my introduction. I'm glad to be here and part of this movement.

Fabio

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Fabio! Sounds like you are off to a great start!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Backtobasics is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you Hedonist!

Fabio