Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much protein and fat for breakfast? page

danaa is offline Junior Member

Too much protein and fat for breakfast?

Primal Fuel
    My husband and I went primal about 2 months ago and up until last week we were doing well eating bacon and eggs for breakfast to replace the cereal we were eating before. However, in the last 2 weeks my husband has been experiencing a very upset stomach following breakfast, as in having to go to the bathroom 4 times! On the days he has a smoothie (whey protein powder, full fat milk, full fat yoghurt, berries) he doesn't have this issue.

For breakfast, he was eating 4 fried eggs and a little less than 1 rasher of bacon each day. For lunch he would often have a boiled egg or two but they wouldn't cause him any problems.

Yesterday he had no eggs and instead had bacon, smoked salmon and half an avocado - no problem.

Today he had no eggs, had bacon, smoked salmon and cottage cheese - problem resurfaced.

Initially we thought it was an egg intolerance/allergy, but even without the egg he had an issue this morning, so I am wondering if it is something to do with balancing carbohydrate, protein and fat intake? As in, there is a nice balance of those three things in a smoothie or in the bacon/salmon/avocado breakfast, but not the eggs and bacon and bacon/salmon/cheese breakfasts.

It also seems strange that for 6 weeks he wasn't having a problem, and then now all of sudden he is.

Has anyone else had similar issues? He is talking about going back to eating cereal which we'd obviously like to avoid!!!

Fury is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had similar issues myself, but more balance sounds good.

4 fried eggs + rasher of bacon, followed by a few boiled eggs at lunch looks to have no source of carbs (and fibre)
    I'd expect you'd both do better with something alongside the eggs/meat, possibly a couple servings of vegetables or fruit with breakfast? Make it a more varied meal... I've never been a huge "breakfast foods" fan, perhaps think of it as brunch if it helps?
    Last edited by Fury; 10-11-2011 at 06:31 PM.

darkfault is offline Junior Member
    I had a similar problem, I found it was the cottage cheese with me. I cut that out and everything went back to normal.

I also found a probiotic supplement very helpful.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Danaa, perhaps your husband might try skipping breakfast entirely, and just having a larger lunch? I also get an upset stomach and digestive issues if I eat breakfast. If your husband has been eating primal for two months, skipping breakfast shouldn't be much of a hardship, although it might feel funny at first.

danaa is offline Junior Member
    Re: the eggs for lunch, I should have made it clearer, he was having a few eggs with his big ass salad or big ass leftovers (vegies and meat) lunch, and they didn't make him feel sick, but the breakfast ones did.

I will see what he says about not eating, it has to be better than feeling sick. Timothy, have you always felt like that when you eat breakfast or only since going primal?
    Last edited by danaa; 10-11-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    x2 on skipping breakfast. I was just about doing one meal a day for awhile and it works fine. Now I have a bigger lunch, still almost no breakfast. A small can of coconut milk in my coffee to start the morning = 370 calories, but it's all just fat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Could be the bacon, weirder things have happened.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Martinn Man is offline Junior Member

Post Re:

These diets were examined every four years with food frequency questionnaires put to the volunteers. For a high protein low fat food diet, it is important to familiarize yourself with foods you should eat and foods you should stay away from.

June is offline Senior Member
    To me it looks like the avocado and berries - both sources of carb, very high in fiber - helped. So stick with that and see.

PrimalNYC is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is he drinking coffee as well? Depending on what you put in your system with coffee, it acts as a natural laxative. With no fiber in the breakfast, I could see the effect being intensified and surfacing much quicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast