Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we really need vitamin supplements page

Creox is offline Junior Member

Do we really need vitamin supplements

Shop Now
    Hi there.

Not sure if this is the forum for this topic but it looked like the closest as we are talking about nutrition of a sort.

I have read several articles over the last few months that point to not using vitamin supplements generally for balanced health. They state that some can actually be harmful if taken too much (ie: vitamin a, beta carotene, vit e etc).

The newest one Vitamin Use Not Recommended For Older Women

states women over 60 shouldn't take them as they may be harmful.... I'm neither femal or over 60 but this was just the most recent article I found on the topic.

I have taken supplements for years and have been sold on antioxidants especially. With Mark promoting and selling supplements I'm just wondering what his or your take is on this topic.

I was looking at buying some multivitamins from Mark so this is also helping me make a decision.

thanks.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    The evidence keeps mounting against supplements. I have never had my kids on vitamins, and they are extremely healthy. I'd rather spend my money on food with real nutrition than on making my pee expensive.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    There are always articles, and sometimes some decent studies that say you shouldn't supplement. Then there are studies that say you should. I say that you shouldn't go overboard, but unless you have great nutrition and have had it for most of your life, you probably have some deficiencies, hence the need for some supplementation. Check out Jack Krause's blog for a recent post on 10 supplements for going primal.

You can do some studies to check on this -- find a good alternative doctor who specializes in good nutrition (not one who subscribes to the SAD). This will likely be a homeopath or osteopath, tho there are some enlightened MDs out there as well.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Yes, for some vitamins at least. I think most of the stuff in multivitamins are unnecessary for anyone with a decent diet, but some things like zinc and magnesium aren't there in food anymore thanks to modern agriculture.
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I don't have the answer to your question. Personally I need some supplement to feel well, but I have an autoimmune disease so it is possible that I may "burn through" vitamins faster than others. I think many people need vitamin D and Magnesium. Ideally I would say eating offal would be better than taking vitamins.

That being said - this really is very poorly done study. IIRC -It was retrospective and people were asked about their vitamin intake over the course the past years. So what that means is that people with subtle underlying health conditions who maybe feel crappy or just a little run down are probably the ones more likely to take vitamins.

An example of this would be my sister and I. She takes no vitamins at all - she is healthy as a horse and always energetic. I take quite a few supplements but I am often run-down and have low energy. So based on that you would think my supplements would be making me feel crappy. But I started taking vitamins because I feel crappy and some symptoms are gone because of them.

Also - they didn't break down what types of supplements - it was just ANY supplement at all. They were also unable to identify what people were more likely to die from, which is troubling and suggests perhaps a problem with statistical analysis in the paper in my opinion.

cecirdr is offline Junior Member
    I'm taking supplements right now, but I have to admit that I'm not too thrilled with doing it. Getting all of them literally put me into the red for this month. I hope in the future, diet alone will provide more of what I need with only a minimal amount of supplementation. But I can see that K2, D3 and magnesium will probably always be needed. Plus I live in a rural area with no farmers coop and no way to find grass fed meats... and even if I could, I don't make the money to afford it regularly anyway. So, I can also see that fish oil, possibly krill oil, and some sort of antioxidant like astaxanthin may also stay on my list of supplements.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    I found this sentance interesting: (my emphasis)
    Supplement users were more likely to have a poorer quality diet overall, with a lower intake of energy, total fat, and saturated fatty acids, the researchers found.

Some supplements are helpful, such as vitamin D. Many have quantities that are far too high, often being the equivilent of the RDI and causing people to have too much of something. Some have unnatural forms, such as folic acid instead of folate.

I do agree that the study was poor and proves little
    Last edited by Stevenhamley; 10-11-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    Yes, for some vitamins at least. I think most of the stuff in multivitamins are unnecessary for anyone with a decent diet, but some things like zinc and magnesium aren't there in food anymore thanks to modern agriculture.
    Agree with this. And make sure you do get enough sun, probiotics and O3.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I'm down to d3 (10,000 once a week) and magnesium (250 mg daily). They both seem like a good idea and are recommended both by paleo types and CW doctors.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Creox is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies...It gave me something to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast