Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carbs in my diet page 2

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quick side-note on the mixing of carbs thing... I've heard raw-vegan types/people in this forum talk about fat in the presence of carbs as a negative, but I do recall whoever wrote South Beach Diet saying it was actually BETTER to mix fat with carbs because it slows absorption of the carbs/lightens the insulin load. Any truth to the latter?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexsi340 View Post
    Quick side-note on the mixing of carbs thing... I've heard raw-vegan types/people in this forum talk about fat in the presence of carbs as a negative, but I do recall whoever wrote South Beach Diet saying it was actually BETTER to mix fat with carbs because it slows absorption of the carbs/lightens the insulin load. Any truth to the latter?
    i would love to know the answer to this! on the one hand, i've heard that fat will mitigate the insulin response. on the other hand, i've heard that the carbs will drive the fat into storage, as they'll be burned first. i have no clue!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    What about non-starchy vegetables? ... anyways, some estimates: 1 medium red pepper is 10 carb, 1lb raw broccoli 30carb, 1lb brussels sprouts 40carb, 1lb carrots 44carb, 1lb acorn squash 45carb, a medium onion is 10 carbs, etc...
    hmmm, those estimates sound high to me. that vegetable count doesn't sound far off from the way i eat, although i probably wouldn't eat all of that in one day. 1lb of brussels sprouts for dinner, along with a steak, goes down on the routine. and i'll eat a big ass salad for lunch. i eat macadamia nuts and a can of either salmon or sardines for breakfast on most week days, omelettes on the weekends. i almost categorically do not snack. doesn't seem like i'm close to mark's numbers. admittedly, i don't count carbs though. i just eat tons of green & cruciferous veggies!

otzi Guest
    how timely, just read this this morning. I'd always wondered about this.

Study questions value of glycemic index

"Normally, individual foods are tested for GI and it is less usual to test the GI of a whole meal. However, in this study, the GIs of three meals were tested – the meals all contained chicken, peas, carrots, kumara and gravy, together with a starchy staple food varying between potato, white rice or spaghetti.

The researchers found that the GI for each meal was not as high as anticipated. From the GIs of the foods used the researchers expected that the potato meal would have an overall GI of 65, which falls within the medium range; instead at 53, the meal fell just within the low range. Therefore, although potato is a high-GI food, a meal containing potato is not necessarily so, Dr. Venn says.

“I don’t think people should be too afraid of putting high-GI foods into their meals – our work suggests that having a small amount of potato with a meal isn’t going to drive your blood sugar crazy,” he says."

June is offline Senior Member
    admittedly, i don't count carbs though. i just eat tons of green & cruciferous veggies!
    Try counting for a day.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexsi340 View Post
    I tend to actually side with the vegans on this one. Palmitic acid (found in most saturated fats) causes temporary insulin resistance. Carbs + insulin resistance is a bad thing.

Context matters though. I don't think a small/medium potato with butter is anything to worry about. A huge pile of mashed potatoes covered in butter is probably not such a good idea. Also, a large amount of starch post-workout (think Leangains) can be a good thing. A large amount of starch 3-5 times a day is not so good (Acute insulin spike versus chronic insulin elevation).

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Try counting for a day.
    +1

I bet you eat more carbs than you think

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Just a general comment here. I really think you have to eat based on how you feel, not what the books say. Every body is different.

I recently got into squash (butternut and spaghetti squash) and sweet potatoes occasionally b/c of the season. I don't like it so much. I prefer how I feel when I eat meat, veggies, berries and granny smith apples. Boring, but feels good

darkfault is offline Junior Member
    I eat similar to you, very low carb. I say if it's not broke don't fix it!

Once in a blue moon, I will eat high carb, you know all the junkie stuff (pizza, beer, fries, chocolate), then I jump back on track.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12