Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat% without Dairy? page

Gimp56 is offline Junior Member

Fat% without Dairy?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello, this is my first post so go easy on me...

For those who do not eat dairy (or use very little), how do you get you fat percentages up? For the most part my protein sources are (most to least):
    Chicken (boneless, skinless)
    Elk
    Beef
    Eggs
    Self-caught wild fish
    seafood

I use olive oil when I cook, but without dairy my calories from fat is around 45%. My main reason for going primal is weightloss, as such I try not to eat a lot of nuts.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Eat the chicken skin, use fattier cuts of meat and oily fish, cook your eggs in coconut oil or animal fat, use coconut milk in things. Elk is pretty lean, but you can find more fatty cuts even then, and you can also add fat (lard, tallow, duck fat, whatever) in the cooking process.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Also, a lot of people that can't do dairy can still eat butter. Is this an option for you?

LolaLola is offline Member
    Avocados are a good source of fat (and homemade guacamole is delicious!)

Love dairy! I just try keeping my caloric intake in a specific range while maintaining the optimal "nutritional range" & the idea of a high fat percentage is still throwing me for a loop. Most of the fish I eat is salmon we catch in AK. More avocado is always possible.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaLola View Post
    Avocados are a good source of fat (and homemade guacamole is delicious!)
    Doh! I always forget avocados because they are ridiculously expensive here most of the time, so we might have them every couple of weeks. Other folks in more southern regions don't have that problem, of course.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I eat no dairy on a regular basis. My fats come from coconut milk (aroy-d, thick creamy, not the "SO Delicious" brand water) grass-fed beef tallow, coconut oil, canned black olives, salmon and avocadoes. I can easily get 60% of my daily intake from fat this way.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Thanks, Knifegill that gives me something to look at.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    How could pork fail to get a mention? Bacon and sausage will get you loads of fat. Sure, it's a little high in O6, but with seafood in your diet, and especially if your beef is grass-fed and your eggs pastured, I think it would be well worth considering.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Your protein sources are on the lean side. Use lard and tallow in your cooking, butter, olive oil. Coconut products are awesome. If you don't have actual inflammation issues from dairy, then butter and cream are friendly and cheap sources. Use in moderation if counting calories. Cheese is not the best choice.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast