Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liver page

Alex Good is offline Senior Member

Liver

Shop Now
    Turkey liver (boiled) - pasty and somewhat bland but entirely edible.

I'm thinking I'll fry tonight's beef liver in bacon fat (and of course spice it). This will be my first real taste of beef liver. I've been putting this off for a while.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to know what spices people use to make beef liver tasty. I tried the typical "liver and onions" recipe and it was awful. The liver taste was way to strong no matter how many onions i piled on top.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    beef liver is a different taste - baby beef liver is usually milder. It should be cooked quickly and just enough so the pink almost disappears. Most people over cook the liver which intensifies the taste. Some people like it fairly rare- sear each side until it is brown leaving it almost raw in the middle- but that is likely not a good first experience. AFAIK there are few spices that will over come the taste. If you stir fry in little strips with other veggies, or if you use a lot of curry and putin a sauce it will somewhat mask the taste.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I prefer chicken livers for taste, haven't choked down beef liver in a few months... chicken liver tastes very mild... not sure on the differences nutritionally. I assume beef liver is healthier or packed with more nutrients...

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I prefer chicken livers for taste, haven't choked down beef liver in a few months... chicken liver tastes very mild... not sure on the differences nutritionally. I assume beef liver is healthier or packed with more nutrients...
    I thought I tooooold ya! In another thread. Beef and chicken livers stack up pretty similarly nutrition-wise. Chicken liver is actually higher in iron:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, raw
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, liver, all classes, raw

And yes, please be careful not to overcook your liver Alex Good. It will become dry and crumbly and nasty. Just turning pink is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I thought I tooooold ya! In another thread. Beef and chicken livers stack up pretty similarly nutrition-wise. Chicken liver is actually higher in iron:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, raw
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, liver, all classes, raw

And yes, please be careful not to overcook your liver Alex Good. It will become dry and crumbly and nasty. Just turning pink is where it's at.
    You probably did but I forget everything all the time. I'll forget about this too... sorry! all that fish oil hasn't done jack for my memory.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    not gonna be popular but I usually have mine with a sauce made from tamari, japanese cooking wine (mirin) and lemon juice. I add this mixture towards the end of cooking, after searing both sides.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I prefer chicken livers, wrapped in bacon and baked!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificBeef View Post
    not gonna be popular but I usually have mine with a sauce made from tamari, japanese cooking wine (mirin) and lemon juice. I add this mixture towards the end of cooking, after searing both sides.
    That actually sounds pretty good.

@iniQuity: It's like Memento, hahah. Take a polaroid snap of the nutrition data pages. Or tattoo on your chest "Fact 1: Chicken liver is not nutritionally inferior to beef liver"

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    @iniQuity: It's like Memento, hahah. Take a polaroid snap of the nutrition data pages. Or tattoo on your chest "Fact 1: Chicken liver is not nutritionally inferior to beef liver"
    Hmmm my card for "yodiewan" says "do not trust him" ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast