Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Liver page

  1. #1
    Alex Good's Avatar
    Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Maritimes
    Posts
    3,576

    Liver

    Shop Now
    Turkey liver (boiled) - pasty and somewhat bland but entirely edible.

    I'm thinking I'll fry tonight's beef liver in bacon fat (and of course spice it). This will be my first real taste of beef liver. I've been putting this off for a while.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

  2. #2
    lizzychan5's Avatar
    lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    177
    I'd like to know what spices people use to make beef liver tasty. I tried the typical "liver and onions" recipe and it was awful. The liver taste was way to strong no matter how many onions i piled on top.

  3. #3
    twa2w's Avatar
    twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    339
    beef liver is a different taste - baby beef liver is usually milder. It should be cooked quickly and just enough so the pink almost disappears. Most people over cook the liver which intensifies the taste. Some people like it fairly rare- sear each side until it is brown leaving it almost raw in the middle- but that is likely not a good first experience. AFAIK there are few spices that will over come the taste. If you stir fry in little strips with other veggies, or if you use a lot of curry and putin a sauce it will somewhat mask the taste.

  4. #4
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    I prefer chicken livers for taste, haven't choked down beef liver in a few months... chicken liver tastes very mild... not sure on the differences nutritionally. I assume beef liver is healthier or packed with more nutrients...

  5. #5
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,349
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I prefer chicken livers for taste, haven't choked down beef liver in a few months... chicken liver tastes very mild... not sure on the differences nutritionally. I assume beef liver is healthier or packed with more nutrients...
    I thought I tooooold ya! In another thread. Beef and chicken livers stack up pretty similarly nutrition-wise. Chicken liver is actually higher in iron:

    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, raw
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, liver, all classes, raw

    And yes, please be careful not to overcook your liver Alex Good. It will become dry and crumbly and nasty. Just turning pink is where it's at.

  6. #6
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I thought I tooooold ya! In another thread. Beef and chicken livers stack up pretty similarly nutrition-wise. Chicken liver is actually higher in iron:

    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, raw
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, liver, all classes, raw

    And yes, please be careful not to overcook your liver Alex Good. It will become dry and crumbly and nasty. Just turning pink is where it's at.
    You probably did but I forget everything all the time. I'll forget about this too... sorry! all that fish oil hasn't done jack for my memory.

  7. #7
    pacificBeef's Avatar
    pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    357
    not gonna be popular but I usually have mine with a sauce made from tamari, japanese cooking wine (mirin) and lemon juice. I add this mixture towards the end of cooking, after searing both sides.

  8. #8
    athomeontherange's Avatar
    athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,512
    I prefer chicken livers, wrapped in bacon and baked!
    Karin


    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

    What am I doing? Depends on the day.

  9. #9
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,349
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificBeef View Post
    not gonna be popular but I usually have mine with a sauce made from tamari, japanese cooking wine (mirin) and lemon juice. I add this mixture towards the end of cooking, after searing both sides.
    That actually sounds pretty good.

    @iniQuity: It's like Memento, hahah. Take a polaroid snap of the nutrition data pages. Or tattoo on your chest "Fact 1: Chicken liver is not nutritionally inferior to beef liver"

  10. #10
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    @iniQuity: It's like Memento, hahah. Take a polaroid snap of the nutrition data pages. Or tattoo on your chest "Fact 1: Chicken liver is not nutritionally inferior to beef liver"
    Hmmm my card for "yodiewan" says "do not trust him" ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •