Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to get enough protein? whey? page

Bettie is offline Senior Member

how to get enough protein? whey?

Shop Now
    iam around here for quite a while, still far from perfect primal (workout wise and still cheat too much on weekends...) but i am working on it.

the most i struggle with is my protein intake. i tried leptin reset, no way, 25-30 gr. of protein was most i could do in a morning and even that not within 30 min. of waking up. it just made me sick.

most days i wake up and drink my tea with coconut oil and a bit of heavy cream in it and i am not hungry till 10am and then i eat 1-2 hard boiled eggs and that's it till lunch.

but if i aim for 0.7-1.gr. protein per lbs leanbodym. i should eat around 90-120 gr. of protein a day. so that would be 3 meals of 30gr. or 2 meals of 45 gr.

in a normal lunch i eat for example 130gr. of horse meat, that's around 25, i can do that in one meal, one some days in 2 meals but no way in 3 a day! so then i think of eggs, how could i eat 6 eggs in one meal? no way!

the only way i see is having whey 1-2 times a day to get enough protein in, but then i read a lots of bad stuff about it, especially the effect on insulin. i am PCO and struggle with low blood sugar problems, so i am a bit worried about it!

what do you think?

7/14: 156 lbs.
    weight in's:

7/17: 153.5 lbs.
    7/18: 152.5 lbs.

goalweight: 130 lbs.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Fish can be a great source of protein.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I do use whey to keep my protein up too for the record and cottage cheese is good too if you can handle some dairy.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    100g of protein is only 1 pound of chicken breast in an entire day. That means you only have to eat 4oz of chicken breast in 4 different sittings - one 4oz portion for breakfast, one for lunch, one for dinner and one for a snack sometime throughout the day. That is a piece of cake. I can easily eat 32oz of chicken breast in a single sitting, and 48oz after a workout and I only weigh 133 lbs. Even if you have a very small appetite, that should be simple. Consider eating leaner cuts of meat because they're less satiating and you'll be able to eat more. It's way easier to eat a pound of chicken breast or london broil than 14 large eggs.

Consider making it fun. Take 1 quart of Greek yogurt, some chopped 85% dark chocolate, a mashed banana or berries with 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract and a tablespoon of stevia powder. Mix and place in an ice cream maker. In 22 minutes, it'll be awesome, delicious, creamy, high protein frozen yogurt. I do this every week and eat a half gallon in a single sitting post workout on refeed days. It's only around 700-800 calories which is a drop in the bucket for me
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-11-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

dado Guest
    you eat the egg

Bettie is offline Senior Member
    oh i should say that before, i don't do diary (except butter and a dash of cream in my tea).

fish is a good idea, unfortunately fresh fish is very expensive here, and i don't want to buy any farmed fish. so this is more of a treat now and then (i miss the time back in the uk, living by the sea...)

any other ideas? and as i sayd i don't think i can do more than 1-2 meals with a big portion of meat (as much as i love meat!) and there is no way for me to get 6 or more eggs done

the last few weeks i checked my foodlog and its more like a avarege of 60gr. of protein a day, carbs between 30-100gr. (very high fat).

it just seems like big portion of protein makes me sick... and iam a big eater, as long as its carbs or fat... but i understand the importance of protein, so is my only choice to drink protein shakes?

anybody else has this problem with protein?

7/14: 156 lbs.
    weight in's:

7/17: 153.5 lbs.
    7/18: 152.5 lbs.

goalweight: 130 lbs.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe this will give you some ideas. This is what I ate for my refeed on Friday, 9/30.

Yes, there is corn meal and masa harina in there, but I ferment it because it's very difficult to eat 900g of carbohydrate in potatoes and white rice. All that is residual protein from the flours, egg whites in baking, yogurt, etc. There isn't any meat in there.

If you can't handle much meat, consider taking some coconut flour, grated zucchini and a dozen eggs and whip them into muffins and pour them in a 12-cup muffin tin. That way, each muffin will have roughly 10g of protein - a whole egg plus some coconut flour. I've done this for fun, and this is the result:

If you're interested in the recipe, you can find it here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post567501

Why is it that you don't do dairy? Are you allergic to whey or casein? Or do you just want to cut it out for health or carbohydrate reasons? For what it's worth, the Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's only lists 7g/cup, and 50% of Greek yogurt's sugar has been converted to lactic acid from the bacteria. The real carb count is maybe 3-4g per cup tops, and that's for the fat free variety I use for refeeds. If you mix that with a can of pumpkin puree and some homemade "chocolate syrup" (cocoa powder, water, stevia - reduce on the stove to a syrup), it's quite delicious. Fat free, very low carb, very high protein so it won't blow your calories all out of proportion...and feel free to use high fat yogurt if you want the fat.

Another one of my personal favorites is salmon with oven fries.

If you can't handle a big meat fillet and wild salmon is cost prohibitive, consider buying super cheap canned salmon and making them into salmon cakes. Just add egg, garlic, chopped peppers and onion, some Old Bay, cracked black pepper and paprika. Fry in the fat of your choice (butter works great!)

Of course, you can never beat a chocolate/chili/paprika rubbed pork loin.

Just some ideas.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    a 6 oz can of wild caught salmon has 39g of protein, and that is a reasonable size portion. I do protein powder in my morning iced coffee most mornings, and have a 1/2C of greek yogurt on the side that totals between 30g and 60g depending on whether I use 1 or 2 scoops. I also buy frozen wild caught fish, this is usually processed on the ship it was caught on and is often fresher than fresh caught as the ships can stay out to sea for a few weeks at a time. I go for the milder flavored ones and poach them in butter with some lemon pepper.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    yum, your photos are making me hungry! never thougtht to add pumpkin to yogurt, and the chocolate syrup, yeah! I was just looking for iron sources and cocoa powder is considered a very good one.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    And those salmon cakes looks amazing! Damn. All your food. Wish my man cooked!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast