Thread: How much coconut milk in shakes to aid weight loss? page

KittyKat is offline Junior Member

How much coconut milk in shakes to aid weight loss?

Primal Fuel
    I love starting my day with coconut shakes but am not sure ho much I should be using as am worried it might stall my weight loss. Do I have to start calorie counting to try and see how many cals I am eating?.... Different reciepes call for different quantities and its the only fat I put in my shake.

If I have one at 7.30am I am not hungry till 2.30pm

BTW i am female, 167cms tall and 77 kilos heavy.

Thanks in advance!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    It's not about how much you put in. Coconut milk has one of nature's highest concentration of medium-chain triglycerides, which are the only fats that are mildly thermogenic and are most easily converted into energy and therefore least likely to be stored as body fat. Adding coconut to what you already eat isn't going to help - you'll just be eating excess calories. You would have to displace fat you already eat with coconut. For example, if you normally cook your meals with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, replace that with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. If you normally put heavy cream in your coffee or whipped heavy cream on your berries, replacing that with coconut milk/whipped coconut milk respectively would help aid in additional fat loss. However, if you take your normal meals and add a can of coconut milk in, you'll just be slowing fat loss. Coconut's not magic by any means. It's just a little tool when combined with other little tools can add up to big losses of fat over long periods of time.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It's not about how much you put in. Coconut milk has one of nature's highest concentration of medium-chain triglycerides, which are the only fats that are mildly thermogenic and are most easily converted into energy and therefore least likely to be stored as body fat. Adding coconut to what you already eat isn't going to help - you'll just be eating excess calories. You would have to displace fat you already eat with coconut. For example, if you normally cook your meals with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, replace that with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. If you normally put heavy cream in your coffee or whipped heavy cream on your berries, replacing that with coconut milk/whipped coconut milk respectively would help aid in additional fat loss. However, if you take your normal meals and add a can of coconut milk in, you'll just be slowing fat loss. Coconut's not magic by any means. It's just a little tool when combined witth other little tools can add up to big losses of fat over long periods of time.
    Hi Choco,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. What you have written makes sense to me and I do already do this with all my other meals but my usual protein shake in the morning had barely any fat in it so I was wanting to replace the cows milk with coconut milk and ice. Becuase I have done this I feel like im adding too many more cals to my breakfast but am not sure if this is just all the conditioning I have received over time regarding not consuming too much fat. Becuase of such a large protein packed and fat packed shake I am unconsciously eating less for lunch and dinner so maybe I am not overdoing the cals but am thinking I may need to monitor how things go if I dont continue to lose weight.

Prior to PB'ing I lost 5 kilos just by cutting out junk and not eating grains starches and most fruits (except berries). Im now getting more and more primal but as you can see I am questioning this extra addition of fat and cals. Im very active - lifting heavy, doing HIIT and walking frequently so I guess Ill just have to see how my body copes with the increase.

Its funny you mention coconut has a mild thermo effect as today I was BURNING up after the gym even though its a mild day. Maybe it was a combo of the weights and coconut.

Thanks again.

Well, a few questions.

What is the purpose of this protein shake? Do you exercise in the morning and the protein shake is for recovery? In that case, you don't want any fat in the protein shake. Fat slows absorption of protein, and you want it to be absorbed as quickly as possible. Adding fat to, say, a whey protein shake defeats the purpose of buying whey. Whey is the #1 protein because it's the most quickly absorbed.

If the protein shake is not for post-workout recovery and it's as a meal replacement, then I can understand the addition of fat. Are you using a tub of protein, such as whey? Because if you're using it for a meal replacement and not a post-workout recovery shake, you'd want to use casein or egg protein, or of course, make your own with things like coconut milk or whole milk, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, unsweetened dark cocoa powder, berries, raw egg, etc. If it were me, I'd consider a banana as well but I "do carbs". Heavily, regularly and happily.

I'll also throw in that I'm wholeheartedly against "meal replacement" shakes. It's best to eat real, whole food with the same nutritional value. It'll keep you fuller and it's less easily absorbed by the body, which leads to lesser blood sugar swings. Not to mention, processing could damage the integrity of certain nutrients.

What fat content milk are you using? Simply put, I'd just dilute a can of coconut milk with water until I reached the caloric content of the milk you're using. You'll lose a lot of protein, but that's nothing that some fat free Greek yogurt can't add back in with minimal calories, and not to mention add a great consistency and nice bite. I've been going through 2-3 quarts of fat free unsweetened Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's a week. It's becoming my staple to keep me full while cutting calories, and I can make almost half a gallon of ice cream with hardly any calories and tons of protein in my ice cream maker
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Hey Choco,

The purpose of the shake is that it is breakfast. Im too busy with my one year old to excercise before breakfast so its not for recovery.

I am using a tub of whey protein. Ill have to look into making my own as this is the only packaged food left in my diet. My body doesnt do well on carbs and as I want to lose weight but I really want to use good carbs again once I am happy with my weight.

I completely agree its best to eat real but bacon and eggs just dont cut it all the time especially if Ive been up half the night with baby and need something quick whilst trying to feed/clean/entertain bubs as she is an early riser - 5am!!!

I was using full cream cows milk so was mixing 100mls of that with water for the shake which turns out to be 4 grams of fat or 80 cals. This morning I used 60mls of coconut milk which is about 11grams of fat or 111 cals so I am happy with that as its upping the fat a tiny bit without overdoing it so Ill see how I go. Thanks for the suggestion!. I am also using an egg white in the shake to up the protein.

Oh the icecream sounds AWESOME!!!!! im SUCH an icecream fan (or was!).... i really love cooking and am so happy my little bub loves eating primal!!! she polished off half a pork mince stuffed baked capsicum (I think you guys call them peppers?)!! she has always naturally loved greek yogurt, ANY meat, berries and is not much of a grain fan

Thanks for helping me work it out - im SO SORE from a massive kettlebell workout yesterday!!

Cheers
    Kat

That would probably be an acceptable replacement for the milk, then. It may help a little bit. The biggest help may be removing the insulin spike and natural growth hormone found on cow's milk, which I've found can halt fat loss...since that's what growth hormone is naturally designed to do

Two suggestions:

1.) Get yourself a muffin tin, fry up a pound of bacon and whip 12 eggs with a little coconut milk and some chopped mushrooms/peppers/onions/whatever. Evenly divide the mixture in 12 muffin tins, top with a little cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 until golden brown, around 10-15 minutes. You'll come out with scrambled egg muffins that rise beautifully and are easy to grab on the go. Take 3 with you on the way out the door and you just had 3 eggs and 3 strips of bacon with a little veggies.

2.) You may not handle carbohydrate well, but these may be acceptable:

They're coconut flour zucchini muffins I've had great success making. You can find the recipe here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post567501

Here's how they break down nutritionally per muffin:

114 calories
    7.3g fat
    8.3g carbs (4.5g fiber)
    4g protein

These two things should beat your protein shake and keep you fuller longer. Just some ideas.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    It bothers me to use half a can and leave the other half in the fridge, it takes too much space. So I put a whole one each time. Works perfectly.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Choko!!! I am SO making both of these magic muffin receipies!!! I have some beautiful organic zucchini in the fridge which were waiting for the right receipe!!...

Thanks so much!!!

Winterbike - its kinda annoying isnt it but for me I think having a whole can or even half a can is too many cals.