Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting page

jacklevin30 is offline Junior Member

Weight Lifting

Shop Now
    Hey forum. I just started the primal diet last friday. I just have a few questions. I do weight lifting in the mornings 5 days a week for about an our a day. The Primal Bluprint however only instructs this for a couple days. Plus this is my only real exersize besides walking. Do I need to adjust my diet any way? Am I on the right path to getting ripped?

dado Guest
    specifically, what does your training look like?

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    And what do you mean by ripped? As in very lean (seeing your 6 pack)? Or being overly muscular and lean (like a body-builder)? Or something else?

What is your exercise background? Been lifting for a long time? Or just starting?

What are you starting with/where are you now? Stats would be a starting point. Since to improve, you need a baseline and can then build on it and well as directly measure your progress. As opposed to just stating an indefinite goal (granted, learner in your own eyes is just a perception; but you can easily add definition, like you want to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club).

As far as diet goes. How much protein are you getting? How many calories on a daily basis? Are you doing any specific pre- or post- workout eating or supplementation?

I'm not trying to overly pepper you with questions, but to better help you out, we need additional information, since recommendations can and will differ greatly depending on the person.

Well i work out for one hour a day. There are four station the first station i usually do 4-5 sets of either bench press incline press or rows. Usually 8-12 reps. Second station curling and shoulder exersizes like kettle bell and summos. Third station is all core. And fourth station is legs. I usually focus more on chest and shoulders. You can say my work out is pretty intense each day five days a week. I want to get more define and toned. That is what i mean by ripped. So my real question is do i adjust my diet in any way because the primal bluprint recommends working out a couple days aweek. For me weight lifting is my primary execize, so do i need to increase protein intake, ex more meat. Or maybe allow a little bit of carbs. Do i neef to modify the primal diet in anyway to accomodate for my umique 5 day weight lifting?

Ive been working out for about three years now but havent seen any big redults as far as definition and toning goes. My diet is just following the primal bluprint one. I eat a ton of meat all kinds, nuts etc. As for quantity, i get about 1 serving of chicken for lunch, i drink milk in the morning along with fruit. Throighoit the day i snack on almonds and cashews. For dinner i get a couple more servings of meat and try eating a salad.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the book yet?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    If you want to see better results in your training, focus more on heavy compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, chinups, dips, overhead press, etc. Also, try lifting heavier with lower reps and keep track of your progress (write down how many reps you are able to do with a certain weight and aim to improve). Also, snacking on nuts throughout the day may not be a great idea. It's easy to get a tons of calories that way. Also, nuts are really high in omega-6 fats, which contribute to an inflammatory state AND phytates, which bind to minerals, preventing absorption.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklevin30 View Post
    Ive been working out for about three years now but havent seen any big redults as far as definition and toning goes. My diet is just following the primal bluprint one. I eat a ton of meat all kinds, nuts etc. As for quantity, i get about 1 serving of chicken for lunch, i drink milk in the morning along with fruit. Throighoit the day i snack on almonds and cashews. For dinner i get a couple more servings of meat and try eating a salad.
    Do a barbell training program focusing on major compound lifts: squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, power cleans, etc., plus hard body weight work like chinups. I have doubled my strength, or at least my lifts, in one year of that. Starting Strength is a basic and great program to recommend, that's a three day/week program but you can do it 2x week no problem. It's not perfectly primal, but it is a great starting place for a program. 5/3/1 is another well-regarded program.
    And: forget about looking for "definition" and "toning" - just try to lift heavier weights every time, don't overeat, and the "definition" will come along for the ride.
    Last edited by tfarny; 10-11-2011 at 05:43 AM.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yodiewan and I crossposted almost identical advice! Hah.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklevin30 View Post
    if looking ripped (strength will come with the previously recommended workouts) is what you're after, you best workout is going to be in the kitchen. being able to see muscle definition has as much to do with eating as it does exercise--if not more, because you need to control your body fat.
    do you have any idea what your body fat percentage is right now? there are a lot of tools and tons of advice on here how to get it lower if that is a need. just starting with a strict primal diet is one of the best things you can do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast