Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting page 4

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    I read a lot of these types of posts.

How do people do weights 5 days a week?! I am not criticising . I am just amazed.

I do weights twice maybe three times a week but my body is battered for at least a day afterwards.

Maybe i am not eating enough?!
    Maybe, or not enough carbs, or not enough sleep, or too much stress etc. It is possible to lift twice a day, six days a week, and recuperate and grow, but you have to cycle your intensity, you cannot go to failure too often and expect to recuperate. Finding a good balance between volume and intensity is what makes the successful lifter, and I wouldn't buy all the arguments from the "less is more" cult…

alexpanait is offline Member
    Hello fellow weightlifters! I really hope there's more of you there, because only 4 pages of weightlifting people seems low, for such a cool way to get ripped & strong! Personally, i think it's the best way and also the fastest. Bodyweight training will also get you there, but takes more time and ambition.

I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 at the moment, started out at the end of November 2012, so basically rookie, still learning, reading a lot, doing research on different aspect, bla bla bla

I'd point out a few important knowledgeable facts i've found to be "true"
    -if the primal 10 rules are followed, it's a really big plus - the "SLEEP" aspect is often overlooked when training hard and it's one of the most important ones
    -eating right is also a MAIN thing - 1g of protein / lbs of weight - as a primal rule
    -recovery is important, but one shouldn't really worry too much about that if he follows the 10 rules of the BluePrint
    -drink a lot of water / green tea

I have a lot of stuff to write about, yet i'm sure that many of you already know the basics of weight lifting involvement
    See ya
    "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
    Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
    Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
    Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpanait View Post
    Hello fellow weightlifters! I really hope there's more of you there, because only 4 pages of weightlifting people seems low, for such a cool way to get ripped & strong! Personally, i think it's the best way and also the fastest. Bodyweight training will also get you there, but takes more time and ambition.

I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 at the moment, started out at the end of November 2012, so basically rookie, still learning, reading a lot, doing research on different aspect, bla bla bla

I'd point out a few important knowledgeable facts i've found to be "true"
    -if the primal 10 rules are followed, it's a really big plus - the "SLEEP" aspect is often overlooked when training hard and it's one of the most important ones
    -eating right is also a MAIN thing - 1g of protein / lbs of weight - as a primal rule
    -recovery is important, but one shouldn't really worry too much about that if he follows the 10 rules of the BluePrint
    -drink a lot of water / green tea

I have a lot of stuff to write about, yet i'm sure that many of you already know the basics of weight lifting involvement
    See ya
    Have you considered doing Starting Strength? I think both, the program, and the accompanying book is great. The book especially, if you want to learn the fundamentals of barbell training, is invaluable and extremely detailed. There like 60 pages on the squat alone. I'd recommend it to anyone that's new, and even not so new, that's working with heavy stuff.

I've started on SL5x5 will continue with that for a while
    Starting Strength is on my "read ASAP" book queue, thanks a lot for the tip & advice!

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpanait View Post
    I've started on SL5x5 will continue with that for a while
    Starting Strength is on my "read ASAP" book queue, thanks a lot for the tip & advice!
    I also love the SL5x5. I've had to stop for the past month and a half (had to start doing two jobs again, plus I commute almost 2 hours every day, so I really haven't had the time). I'm expected to move back into the city next week, so I should have the time to work out again!

Starting Strength is an awesome book. It's super informative and shows you how to effectively perform all the big compound exercises in great detail. I prefer the StrongLifts program, however.

For the ripped look, as others have mentioned, it really comes down to diet. Low body fat % will show off your muscles.

It's extremely difficult (some say impossible) to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Gaining muscle requires a calorie excess, and losing fat requires a calorie deficiency. Many people recommend cycling between bulking and cutting:
    - Cut to an acceptable body fat level eat your protein and lift, to minimize muscle loss
    - Then up your food intake and bulk until you've gained some good muscle mass (you'll gain some fat too)
    - Repeat.

(Leangains is also very interesting - I've done it for a short period of time but haven't been able to stick to it for long enough to be able to tell you how well it actually works)

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. As of now i've been doing Eat Stop Eat and will also read everything that LeanGains is all about!

Little bit on/off-topic, yet regarding bodybuilding & weight training - whey protein and other few supplements are a must-get in order to achieve results in a timely manner!
    Dunno if this is beneficent for anyone or not - but however uses sports supplements - here's a 5GBP discount code "PA47905" valid for new registrations & frist order on their website - Bodybuilding Supplements, Whey Protein & Sports Nutrition at BulkPowders
    Myself - ordered few days ago before posting this, didn't want to share a site without first gaining some feedback from it and their products are quality-oriented and not high-priced as big-brands do
    Thank a lot everyone

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Have you considered doing Starting Strength? I think both, the program, and the accompanying book is great. The book especially, if you want to learn the fundamentals of barbell training, is invaluable and extremely detailed. There like 60 pages on the squat alone. I'd recommend it to anyone that's new, and even not so new, that's working with heavy stuff.
    agreed

are you basing your protein calculation on your weight or lean muscle?

Protein Calculation should be made based on weight not lean muscle weight (mass) - as far as i know....

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Im not sure what happened to jacklevin30. I would say that from my experience 5 days doing the same muscles each time and especially when your focus s chest/arms is the wrong way to go big time. Dont take that as a bad thing, just listen to advice from the peeps here and try something different. Mike mentzer once wrote "You can work out long or you can work out hard you just cant do both. And it just so happens it takes very hard work to build muscle" Now I dont agree with everything mr mentzer says but that is true. To apply it to yourself, you can work out lots or you can work out hard and properly you just cant do both and it just so happens it takes hard properly executed training to build muscle (lose fat etc).

I also second the diet advice .... I have a client who trains with me only once a week, but follows dietery advice daily. She has dropped two dress sizes in two months whilst gaining a failry decent amount of muscle.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast