Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: endometriosis? page 3

Primal Fuel
    Thank you! The changes in me have been so drastic that I've convinced my parents to try too. Today is day 2 for them!

jaye is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    How has your natural treatment route been going?

I was diagnosed via laparoscopy 2 years ago, when I was 19. I'm actually waiting for another laparoscopy. My original surgeon (gyno) wanted to put me on BC or Lupron. I tried BC and I bled for a month straight (kinda defeated the purpose). I refused Lupron due to the potential side effects (short term memory loss and bone density loss didnt seem like an even trade). I tried to go the natural route using acupuncture, which did help a lot, but it got pretty expensive after a while. After that, I switched gyno's. The one I have now is a godsend.

Im one of the unlucky ones who is in extreme pain. I also seem to have some kind of imbalance where my body becomes immune to pain killers abnormally fast. I have been put on every kind of pain killer all of my docs can think of. The last resort they have given me is Cesamet (med marijuana, which I was very annoyed about). In the meantime, I was having some major bowel and bladder issues, and my pain was so bad that I could barely stand or sit for more than 30 minutes at a time. He suggested I follow the endo diet at endo-resolved. Since it was so extreme, I decided to start going gluten free. Within a few weeks, my pains had gone down. They still were brutal, but not to the same degree. Searching for gluten free websites, I stumbled onto MDA. I read it for months, realizing how much sense it made.

Ironically, I saw my doc again about 6 weeks ago. He suggested that most chronic pain disorders like endo are diet related. He told me I should try paleo since it has helped a lot of his other patients. I figured that now would be the perfect time to go primal. I've done it for 6 weeks now, and although I've had a few binges (at other peoples houses when I didn't have many food options), I have gone from trying to use pain meds daily, to not using any at all. I've found that exercising definitely helps too. Yoga and swimming are great for low impact things. A hot bath, or a hot water bottle are my newest best friends too for pain.
    I've been strict paleo for almost a year now and have made some huge improvements in pain reduction - from approx. 8 days of hell, to only hours of pain spread over 1-2 days. Primal wasn't enough. I had to drop dairy, too. When I got strict, no dairy, no cheats, my abdomen shrunk from the inflammation elimination. I see that as the beginning stage - first, stop the inflammation that is the cause of the damage. The second phase is healing the damage that has already been done over all those years. That's a longer process and I'm still working on it. I also started supplementing with iodine and the co-supplements in February and I'm improving even more.

I had been lacto-ovo vegetarian for over a decade and I realized, once I started to eat right, that I was dealing with a lot of vit/mineral defficiencies from all that grain consumption. I think organ and bone broth consumption are super important in healing endo. I follow Terry Wahls diet pretty closely. Check her out.

Finally, stress reduction is huge! I found mindfulness and it has made a huge difference. And don't forget about getting enough sun, play, and sleep.

I like Yoga and also try to follow the primal exercise guidelines - walk every day, strength exercises 2-3 times a week, and sprints about once a week.

Good luck! You can do it.

jaye is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    Thank you! The changes in me have been so drastic that I've convinced my parents to try too. Today is day 2 for them!
    That is awesome! It's nice to have a close primal support group. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jaye View Post
    I've been strict paleo for almost a year now and have made some huge improvements in pain reduction ...

Good luck! You can do it.
    Thanks for all the advice and info! My pain has come back in the last week (my own fault. Binged on family holidays a couple weeks ago and have been getting some cravings that I've been satisfying. Gotta get back to strict primal again). Surprisingly, all the stuff I've had has been gluten free, but with this drastic of a change, it just reinforces that I cant go off of it.

I'm definitely curious about vitamin/ mineral deficiencies, so I wonder if I could get a test done to figure out? I've been trying to sleep more, but since my holidays, I havent been sleeping as much. Maybe its just my body regulating itself based on sun times? Normally I'd go to sleep around 10 and wake up around 8ish. Now I'm going to sleep around 11-12 and wake up around 5-6.

As for play, that's what I'm having trouble with. I've always been more of a mature and restrained person. I have trouble letting loose with people and not worrying about what they'll think/ or how they'll react to the point I almost give myself a panic attack. Its not that I dont want to. For example, I know I'm a terrible singer, but I love to sing in the car. I will belt it at the top of my lungs, but as soon as anyone else is in the car, including my bf, I can not sing. I try to, and my voice wont go over a certain level, which is quiet enough that he cant hear me.

I've been trying to do as much exercise as I can and it has definitely helped me, thankfully. Guess I've just gotta use some more willpower to get back on track.

Beatles78 is offline Junior Member
    Hello,

I'm Stephanie and I was "officially" diagnosed with Stage IV Endometriosis in 2009 when I had a large endometrioma removed from my ovary. However, I've had it, undiagnosed, since I was 14. Severely irregular periods, unbearable pain each and every period, to where I'd go pale and throw up. I dealt with this for over 6 years until I finally got the guts to go to the doctor and discuss options. She threw me on the BCP around 2001, I believe.

I went off the BCP 5 years later due to unwanted side effects, and i was still having pain so didn't see a point. A few years later, I started having other issues (gastrointestinal) where I then had a CT scan and a large cyst showed up on my ovary. I then had the surgery like I said above, was officially diagnosed with endo, and afterwards I was told to go on Lupron as well for 6 months, and then BCP after that. Well, certainly wasn't going to be thrown on a menopause-inducing injection, let alone go on the BCP again....so I refused both.

So I did some research and I went vegan in 2009, started getting acupuncture treatments, as well as seeing an Alternative Medicine doctor and started having depletion packs inserted.

I am much better than i was when I was 14....however I still have pain with my period and at times, I experience pain outside of my period that knocks me on my back for hours, they are so severe. I have found that if I drink too much (went on a trip to MX) that my peroid and my pain out side of it was even more severe.

My mom found your site and said i should try taking iodine to see if that helps. I've contemplated a hysterectomy, but learned that a partial hysterectomy won't cure it (as the ovaries still exist and endometriosis feeds off hormones) and a complete hysterectomy would throw me on hormones the rest of my life. I don't want to do that either. I'm 36, have never had kids and don't plan to either.

Any information or testimonials would be great!

Thank you,
    Stephanie

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Stephanie,
    Personally I am very cautious about iodine. Please work with a Practicioner if you go that route.

I've been primal for about 4 years. I'm 38, 3 kids. I was doing better initially, but I decided to go back on birth control to suppress the endo. I bleed once every three months. The pain just kept increasing. I was seeing a functional medicine NP and we were in the midst of testing hormones but I wasn't ovulating predictably, so the money was wasted. So, for myself, my pain has all but gone by suppressing it. Everyone needs to make their own decision for their situations. I know I tried a couple different brands of birth control because I would get migraines. But I've had so many other benefits of being primal I won't go back to conventional wisdom
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123