Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grass fed beef - what to expect? page

duckmama is offline Senior Member

grass fed beef - what to expect?

Primal Fuel
    We're getting our first 1/4 share of grass fed beef in about 3 weeks. Even after being Primal for nearly a year, I have to admit that I haven't cooked with it yet because I haven't found a good local source for buying in small quantities that won't totally blow our budget. Now we're getting a 1/4 share from a tiny farm at a smoking good deal.

What should I expect from cooking with grass-fed beef? Will it be a lot leaner and require that I add fat? Is cooking time any different? Will the flavor be any different? If anyone has any tips, I would love to hear them.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    I find it's better to cook grass-fed beef slower. You probably won't get the marbling like you do with conventional beef. A conventional rib-eye I will throw on the grill and love, but the grass-fed I cook in a pan with butter.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    A lot leaner. I cook it the same, but it's a LOT leaner and very little marbling in the roasts and such. I don't care for the lean-ness, to be honest (taste is great though!). Tastes "beefier" than conventional meat...in a good way, I think.

After our current cow is gone, we'll be switching back to the original ranch we used that feeds their cattle just a little bit of corn to create a perfect amount of marbling, but the meat still tastes 100% grass fed. They're mostly pastured/grass fed, raised and butchered locally so that's good enough for us. At a certain point, flavor is a factor.
    Last edited by kennelmom; 10-10-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    The flavor will be different, but for me it was a very good thing. Some people don't like it's "gamey" taste, and I can't understand why, to me its called flavor! I'm now a beef snob and I don't like cafo beef at all, even at the expensive steak places, I can taste the nastiness. I had a ribeye at Gibsons (famous steak chicago place) and it was nasty! To me it was just a giant tasteless piece of fat and loose muscle, no where near as good as the grass-fed ribeye I can make at home. My husband who loves steaks and burgers thinks that the grass-fed stuff I've been buying is the best tasting beef he's had.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    More "gamey" is exactly how I described it to my hubby when I tried it for the first time the other night. I didn't know beef had flavor before and I like it very much. I cooked mine in butter and found I had to increase the heat a little. The flavor is still mild though, just not bland. It was excellent with my collard greens and garlic on the side, YUM!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I do NOT like gamey meat and I would hesitate to call it gamey. Venison tastes gamey to me. Grass feed beef is just beefier to me. So, if you don't like "gamey," don't let that description scare you off!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

tplank is offline Senior Member
    The absolute best beef I ever had was pastured most of its life and then grain fed the last couple of months. This has nothing to do with what is healthy, but that beef was incredible.

awm8604 is offline Member
    In my experience grass-fed beef cooks quite a bit quicker than conventional beef did. For example, one of the first recipes I made was for meatballs, and while the recipe said to bake for 35-40 min, and worked well in the past, with the grass-fed beef they were done in 25 min.

Also, the taste is different, but I think it's better and was easy to adjust to.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I totally prefer the grass fed beef. I always bought the leaner cuts (fat phobia here) so the leaner grass fed is great! Love the taste and am now a beef snob I suppose. Also just bought some organic grass fed bison (they are starting to feed them grain now too - so beware) and those steaks are the best eva!!!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It will vary a lot, it's hard to predict what it will be like as compared to conventional beef, but it will cook faster and be much leaner. I have found that hot, fast cooking often works well for GF beef.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast