Thread: Father of 6 boys and trying to keep up with them... page

scuillard is offline Junior Member

Father of 6 boys and trying to keep up with them...

Primal Fuel
    My name is Scott, I am 39 years old, 6'3, 230 lbs. I have always been pretty active. I have 6 boys ranging in age from 14-1. They keep me on my toes for sure. They all (except the 1 yr old) generally play sports (football, baseball, soccer and basketball). My wife is a fitness instructor/personal trainer. She looks fantastic, I don't. I am not super big but carry my weight in my gut area. While my wife cooks great warm, home cooked meals, I find myself eating out a lot as I run the boys to and from all their activities. I drank 3-4 44 oz of diet soda a day, for years. I hate the feeling of carrying a brick in my gut. So I decided to get healthy. I did what everybody does, I went to the gym. I worked out 3-5 times a week for 5 weeks. I did at a minimum 30 minutes of cardio followed by 30 minutes of weight training. During this time I ran into a friend that looks skinnier than I had ever seen him. I asked him what he had done and he sent me to marksdailyapple.com. I read through and said maybe one day, but I am going to continue at the gym. I failed to mention that I have always hated going to the gym. I much prefer being outside doing what's natural, like sports, wakeboarding, or just playing. I get so bored in the gym.

After 5 weeks at the gym I stepped on the scale and to my surprise I weighed exactly the same, 230 lbs. 5 weeks of work for nothing! I decided it was time to get primal! I went to marksdailyapple.com and educated myself on the Primal Blueprint. As I committed to doing this, I spoke with my boss at the office (who is super skinny and super fit) about what I was going to do. Come to find out he went primal over a year ago and swears by it. This gave me the encouragement I needed. I reached out to a couple other buddies who felt similar to me and got them to get primal as well. I decided that I will go strict primal for 30 days and see what happens. All I had to lose was weight, right?

Now this isn't one of those stories that I lost 50 lbs and am in the best shape of my life type of things. I just completed my first week being primal. I was shocked when I stepped on the scale and lost 5 lbs! WOW, 5 lbs. I know it doesn't seem like much but when you kill yourself for 5 weeks with no results then go primal for 1 week and see results, that is a success. While my oldest was at baseball practice I was able to do my sprints on the field. I taught my 4 year old how to ride a bike this weekend (running up and down the street until he learned). I played catch out in the yard with the 2 older ones for about 30 minutes. I played 3 softball games and played 9 holes of golf early Friday morning. This is the type of exercise the I enjoy. I will go to the gym once or twice a week for weight training, I am finding other ways to train, like burpee's in the front yard or using the TRX in the house. Like I said I love being active and outside. I have also started going to bed earlier and waking up much earlier. I keep a daily journal of everything I am eating. Do I want to cheat, sure, but I don't.

To be honest I feel better than I have in years. It's only 5 lbs but I don't feel like I am carrying a brick around in my gut. I feel like I have more energy now than ever before. I feel like I can now keep up with all those 6 little boys.

Thanks Mark for all the info!

Regards,
    Just another dad trying to keep up with his boys (Scott)

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scuillard View Post
    To be honest I feel better than I have in years. It's only 5 lbs but I don't feel like I am carrying a brick around in my gut. I feel like I have more energy now than ever before. I feel like I can now keep up with all those 6 little boys.
    Sometimes the weightloss isn't the biggest benefit. Congratulations!

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Scott, congratulations on a great first week! It sounds like you really have a knack for this. You may have started just to get rid of the brick and keep up with your boys, but I think you will end up with more than you imagined.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    First of all, round of applause to anyone who has six boys and doesn't run away one day and assume a new identity in some small town somewhere. Great first week, Scott. I'm rooting for you!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Scott...It's great to hear of a parent playing and spending time with their kids. Glad that Primal has helped you to enjoy it even more:-) Keep up the good work. Rock Out with your Grok Out!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Scott. I'm glad it's going well.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.