Thread: Help with nutrition - successful paleo women - advice please! page

lucyewok is offline Member

Help with nutrition - successful paleo women - advice please!

Shop Now
    i've been primal now since february of this year, but , mainly due to my partner, i have dwindled from it, cheating more.
    i'm not happy with the way i look anymore, i'm 5 foot and about 8 stone 12 (124lbs).

i would love to know from any successful paleo women what your nutirtion success has been, what does a normal day look like? what tips do you have for fat loss?

thank you

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'1 and what helped was eating paleo and fasting for 24hrs/day 2 times a week. On the non-fasting days, I ate 3 meals a day. Weight trained 5 or 6 days a week. Cardio(kettle bell swings) 2 to 3 days a week.

typical day:

B: Time - 6:30am: paleo sweet potato quiche+ 1 tsp of fish oil
    L: Time -11:15am: paleo cabbage roll
    D: Time - 5:30pm paleo meatball soup + broccolli

Beverages: 14 cups of water

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    I'm 38 yrs old, 5'8", currently 168 lbs and dropping from a 5-year high of 177. US size 10 to 12. I got back onto the PB last month primarily because I was really tired of idiopathic postprandial syndrome, but losing some weight will be nice, too.

I do keep track of my calories, loosely, because I know that I need to do that to drop weight. Only times I have ever been able to lose weight was while food journaling. Makes me pay attention to what I eat.

Anyway, typical food for me would be 3 eggs cooked in 1/2 T butter (or hard boiled) for breakfast, along with 2 oz of cheese or maybe one link of chicken sausage or a piece of fruit and iced unsweet green tea. Today I had 3 primal pumpkin muffins each with a little butter on them. Usually followed by diet coke at work. Yes, I know.

Lunch is usually some version of meat (3-5 oz) and veggies (> 1 cup), with 1/2 T or less of butter, sometimes with about 1/4 cup of sweet potato. These I bake until they are squishy, cut them in half, and squish them out of their skins for easy mashed sweets.

If I feel like I need food later in the afternoon, I usually have brought along a baggie of 20 macadamia pieces (one serving according to the can). Fruit might also appear here, especially if it is unsweetened applesauce.

Evenings I will reheat more meat or fish and veggies if I cooked a whole bunch on Sunday. If not, I tend to default to cheese, a bit of 85% + dark chocolate, pouched tuna fish, or some other kind of easy-to-get food.

My first week I tracked calories and macros tightly to make sure I was getting enough protein and fat and not too much carb. I found that I felt fine on as little as 1500 calories per day, and ate no more than 2100. Every time I have ever had my basal metabolic rate estimated it has always been somewhere between 1400 and 1500, so I won't go that low too often. I have also lost weight on 2100-2300 calories per day back during a much more active time in my life, so I figure I'm probably in a good range right now.

As for exercise, I am trying to get back into that as I'd like to be in better condition. I'm approaching it from a functional perspective, not appearance. I get a solid 1/2 hour of walking per day just going between parking lot, office, and campus chapel. Weightlifting is strength-oriented with compound lifts, once per week right now, but I will hopefully find the time to increase that soon. I did sprints yesterday and would like to make that a weekly regularity. I also need to do longer-interval cardio to get my fitness level back up.

I drink lots of water, beyond satisfying thirst. I also take salt pills. Doctor's orders. Neurally mediated syncope. Don't wanna pass out. Omnipresent fatigue and lightheadedness is no fun.

So basically I'm in progress, but I have had a much easier time losing weight so far than when I have tried to do so on a higher-carb diet.

My advice for other women is to 1) count calories, and 2) get into the weightroom and lift heavy.

lucyewok is offline Member
    what success have you seen?? i weight train twice a week and cardio twice a week, as i dont want to over train.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucyewok View Post
    what success have you seen?? i weight train twice a week and cardio twice a week, as i dont want to over train.
    lost 10lbs, gained muscle. no abs showing or anything i have a flat tummy. have lots of energy. not hungry all the time. when i weight train 5 or 6 times a week, i don't go all out each day, so no over training occurs. i have a good trainer. i'm female.
    : )
    Last edited by JoPaleo; 10-12-2011 at 06:40 AM.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    I have so far lost 8 or 9 pounds and gone from about a US size 12 to about a US 10. Yesterday I wore for the first time in 2 years my favorite jeans from before I gained 15 pounds (which are marked a size 8!), and while they were tight I did not look like a stuffed sausage or have a muffin top. Hips, butt, and waist are all an inch or 2 smaller, and I can now fit into the fancy bras I kept that were too small after gaining weight. I am by no means lean, but I only have a few more pounds to go before I am technically out of the overweight majority.

More importantly to me, I no longer get fatigue, lightheadedness, anxiety, crankiness, and hostility if I go more than 2.5 hours without eating.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    Hello from Newcastle!

The thing that made the most difference for me was getting my supplementation right... I kept falling off the wagon until I started supplementing (with things my body obviously needed). I read The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and took my cue from that.

I have actually lost my taste/desire for several things since switching to Paleo/primal. I stick to meat, eggs, vegetables, oils/fats, and herbal tea/water. I occasionally have fruit or nuts but I want to lose weight so avoid them mostly. I have coffee once a week or less as I try to avoid caffiene as well. I don't drink alcohol at the moment (again, for weight loss) but will definitely be adding that back in once I've reached goal. Dairy doesn't interest me anymore so I don't eat it (Plus I think it causes anxiety in me).

I typically eat 2 or 3 times a day, depending on how hungry I am or what my work schedule is like. I don't snack. I rarely eat outside the house, but I enjoy cooking so this is no big deal for me. I do tend to fast daily, up to 16hrs, as I'm just not hungry as much.

Today:
    Breakfast (at 3:30pm as I'm on night shift): A big bowl of homemade pumpkin soup (carrot, onion, whole roasted pumpkin, homemade chicken bone broth, water, spices) with pieces of roasted chicken, 2 slices crumbled bacon, and about 2 tablespoons of suateed red pepper and onion, topped with a bit of coconut milk.
    Dinner (at midnight): grass-fed beef skirt steak stir fried with broccoli and carrots in sesame/coconut oil.

That will be it for today. As for exercise, I walk everywhere and take walks for pleasure, and I'm just started Crossfit, which I can hopefully do 2-3x a week. I do prioritize sleep, making sure to get at least 8 hrs a night.

I would say if your primary goal is fat loss, keep your food very very simple; meat, eggs, vegetables, fats. No paleo baked goods, no chocolate, no fruit, nuts, or dairy which are all common stumbling blocks. Also I would recommend just moving as much as you can; take walks on your break at work, walk around the neighbourhood, do a fitness class, do squats/planks/push-ups in your house, anything. Get adequate sleep, and supplement if you need to!