Thread: Hi there! page

rahulmutt is offline Junior Member

Hi there!

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone! I'm a senior in high school in Illinois and I have been going Primal for about two months.

Last summer, I decided that I wanted to get stronger because I was sick of looking like a toothpick. So I ended up going with the MAX Workouts program developed by Shin Ohtake (which happens to emphasize the same principles as PB minus the low level cardio). In the diet book that came along with it, he briefly explained how grains and legumes should be eliminated from your diet. That really surprised me so I ended up going some research on Google and stumbled upon MDA's article on grains. I loved the article so much that I explored a bunch of other articles for the next couple of hours. And that's when I decided to go primal.

I've gotta say, it was probably one of the best decisions of my life. I've had much better sleep, higher energy levels, and a decreased appetite. In the past, I always had changing moods so being able to stabilize that with just nutrition was awesome. Although I followed PB, I didn't quite follow PBF until just last week. I had been following the MAX Workouts program for the first month and a half while simultaneously eating primal and then I had a rut for a couple of weeks where I was sick (probably because I didn't take vitamin supplements) and during recovery started mixing in a bit of junk food with my primal diet.

Last week, I pulled myself together and this time, I decided to try out PBF. The MAX Workouts program was great and all, but it was much too exhausting. It involved three high-intensity strength workouts a week and two high-intensity cardio workouts (both of which were restricted to about 20 to 30 minutes) every week. As much as I love free weights, I would be unable to do exercises not because I had no strength left, but because my hands could no longer hold the dumbbell.

When I tried out PBF last week, I felt great! Because I could do as many reps as I wanted until muscle failure and not hand pain, I challenged myself pretty well. I always aim to go 10-15 above whatever I set as a goal if I still have strength remaining. Moreover, I don't feel completely exhausted after workouts, yet I always have a layer of sweat covering my body at the end of each one. It certainly feels like the right way to exercise you body, but I have a couple questions.

1.) The old workout program I used to follow emphasized using exercises that would in combination train all sets of muscle groups in the body, does PBF do the same? I can't really tell because none of my muscle groups are very sore after workouts like they used to be.

2.) I have not done the pull ups because I don't have a pull up bar, but I purchased some dumbbells so I can do substitute exercises. What kind of exercises should I do in place of pull ups and how many reps?

3.) Because I'm a tennis player, my right arm is noticeably larger than my left arm. Are there any additional exercises I can do to strengthen only my left arm?

I also have a couple questions about my diet. Since I started eating primal, I haven't taken any vitamin supplements. So my question is:

4.) Do I really need the amount of vitamins corresponding to a serving size of the Damage Control Formula? And is it possible to "overdose" on vitamins?

Thanks for the help!

dado Guest
    you must squat.

welcome

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Rahulmutt! Congrats on moving to the PBF approach. Adding rest days should help a lot compared to what you were doing.

1) If you're only a little sore the day after a workout, that is still good. If you're not sore at all, you probably need some more weight (or to progress on the PBF scale). Whatever else you do, nothing beats squats and deadlifts.

2) I know of no substitute for pullups. I highly recommend getting a pullup bar, the kind you can mount in a doorway or the kind that sits on a frame. Tree limbs are good if you can find one at the right height.

3) I have this problem too. If you lift very heavy, at the edge of your ability, your left side will be the weak link. It will get more work than your right and should even out over time.

4) It is much better to get your vitamins from actual food; they are absorbed better than supplements. On a diet of grass-fed beef, beef liver, a wide array of fresh veggies, and occasional seafood like sardines or salmon, you don't need supplements IMO. But Damage Control is a great supplement when you can't get high-quality balanced meals. I don't think you can OD on Damage Control when taking the recommended dose, but you will pee neon.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Rahulmutt...All good advice given here already. Your diet should really be the main source of your nutrients. Stick with it, and good luck to you! Grok On!