Thread: Am I eating too much protein?? page

sarah nicholls is offline Junior Member

Am I eating too much protein??

Shop Now
    Hi Everybody
    I've been enjoying being Primal for 7 months - never felt so good! I've plateued lately and so have been doing a food diary on Fitday.com. I'm hitting the sweet spot carbs wise but am concerned i'm overdoing it on the protein - I'm a 5"10 lady - weighing in at 148lbs and my average calories eaten daily - 1960 and calories burned 2562, so all good there.
    Potein intake is between 130 & 200g a day and fat between 70 and 135g.
    Average day would be greek yogurt with strawberries and nut bar (from Marks receipe book). Lunch is a 'big ass salad' usually with canned mackerel or tuna. Dinner would be 3 chicken thighs or 400g of ribeye steak with broccoli or cauliflower. No alcohol.
    I thought I was doing really well till I read my stats - am I overdoing the protein? I'm happy with my weight but would like to lose the excess body fat.
    Please help

Sarah

dado Guest
    yes, go down to 100g protein

JHen is offline Member
    Unless you are doing some mega muscle strain activity like climbing or weight lifting, you don't need that much protein. You could afford to step it down.

sarah nicholls is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for that - I had a feeling I was overdoing it. Any ideas on how to lower the protein without lowering my calorie intake too much though? e.g if i halve my meat intake what substitute would you recommend?

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Eat 50g of herb butter with your steak.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Unless you have kidney problems excess protein is not likely to harm you in any way. If you like eating the way you are eating then don't change anything unless you aren't hitting your weight loss goals....but if that is the case switching up your macro ratio isn't going to do much, and if anything lowering protein might hurt that a little.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Unless you have kidney problems excess protein is not likely to harm you in any way. If you like eating the way you are eating then don't change anything unless you aren't hitting your weight loss goals....but if that is the case switching up your macro ratio isn't going to do much, and if anything lowering protein might hurt that a little.
    Agreed.
    I'm a smaller woman and aim for about 125-150g protein a day. I just prefer protein to super high fat as it satiates me better.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    Love to hear this side of it. I generally have more protein than is recommended on MDA, but I also feel more satiated with higher protein and less fat...