Thread: Grokette in UK needs to loose baby weight page

GrokinUK is offline Junior Member

Grokette in UK needs to loose baby weight

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone. i am GrokinUK. I was introduced to the primal blueprint a few weeks ago by a fellow mum who needed to loose weight and I have to say I love it. Weight Watchers makes me hungry, the blood type diet made me moody, now Primal is Just Right! Only problem is that after a week on the diet I only lost .2kilos BUT... and this is odd..my BMI and total body fat went down 2%!! How is that even possible? This week I am cutting my carbs even more, doing a bit more exercise, and watching the fat/protein ratio.
    I think the biggest issue is that in the UK it is really difficult to get good cuts of meat. Grass fed beef is unheard of and if you can find it its like the equivalent of 20 American dollars for 1 steak or 2 pds of ground. I am also allergic to all seafood so getting the Omega 3 essentials is difficult. The upside is that sausage is really easy to get here ( as is lamb but I dont eat babies).
    I have to say that even with a modified Primal diet cutting out all the processed crap i used to eat makes me feel better and i am in a better mood. I am less stressed with my children and I really think that Primal got me out of a bout of Postpartum depression. I preach to other mums now about this way of life...so much better than the old way.
    Any suggestions welcome to my questions..
    cheers

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hi Grokin, and Welcome to the Tribe:-) Fantastic that you're feeling great. Primal is certainly the way to go(IMHO). As for the meat, I wouldn't stress over it not being grass fed. A lot of folks here can't afford it, and make do with what they can. One suggestion that I've seen often, is that if you do buy it from a supermarket, it's best to trim the excess fats from it. There are loads of recipes on this site to help you on your way, so the variety of meat shouldn't be too much of a concern.

What you will notice from Primal is that "body measurements" and how you feel mean more than "Scale measurements". In other words, good for you on losing the inches, and ditch the scale(if you have one)! Good luck, and Rock Out with your Grok Out!

Cheers

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi! Welcome! Good advice from SoccerGrok.

Sausage is great if it is fairly clean, i.e. free from filler junk.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Hi Grokinuk,

Fellow UK member here too and just started Primal on 6th August...One thing I will say is if you are a new mum in the UK you have probably been told to breast feed for the first 6 months if possible (I'm male but have 2 kids 3.5 years and 23 weeks)....make sure that you are getting enough food to sustain this as calories are harder to come by on primal as you are eating healthier but less calorie dense food...

Another thing about sausages....a lot of them contain rusk which is a wheat mix to help with binding it all together as far as I can ascertain so try to get them from a butcher rather than Tesco/Asda etc.

As SoccerGrok said.....don't concern yourself with weight loss at this stage...just eat healthy and take your measurements every so often for a check but the mirror is your friend....you could also try taking before/during/after photos so that you can see progress along the way. You don't have to share them but there is a thread on her specifically for the purpose of motivation..

hope this helps

GrokinUK is offline Junior Member
    thanks fuzzy.. I am not breastfeeding any longer so going really primal now. Well trying. I had a lapse today at lunch time. I couldn't find much to make and scint so I made coconut pancakes but used too much maple syrup on top ;( bad me!!!
    will defo go to butcher for meat. ASDA meat isnt even real to begin with is it lol? I moved to the UK from the states 5 and a half years ago, I miss the meat quality over there big time.
    I have been able to make some delicious Primal meals over here though and I am so proud of myself. We had a blackened steak with habanero butter yesterday and a small side of parsnip mash..it was delicious!! good luck with your primal

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokinUK View Post
    thanks fuzzy.. I am not breastfeeding any longer so going really primal now. Well trying. I had a lapse today at lunch time. I couldn't find much to make and scint so I made coconut pancakes but used too much maple syrup on top ;( bad me!!!
    will defo go to butcher for meat. ASDA meat isnt even real to begin with is it lol? I moved to the UK from the states 5 and a half years ago, I miss the meat quality over there big time.
    I have been able to make some delicious Primal meals over here though and I am so proud of myself. We had a blackened steak with habanero butter yesterday and a small side of parsnip mash..it was delicious!! good luck with your primal
    The primal blueprint basically says..."Aim for 100% primal....you will hit about 80% which is totally fine"

Don't worry about a little cheat now and then...it won't kill you