Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting and Fat Loss page

g2baker is offline Member

I've totally stalled with my weight loss. Since mid November I've been hanging out at the same weight. I would really like to loose another 25 lbs. On the food front, I'm keeping my carbs down by staying in Ketosis. I hardly ever go over 50gms of carbs/day. I've been doing a 24 IF every 3 days. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do as far as diet is concerned. Oh, and before anyone mentions eat more fat, I'm doing that as well. I think if I could give up my nightly gin and tonic, that would help. Could that really prevent me from fat loss? Regarding exercise, I was lifting 2 times per week (machine and some free weights), HIIT one time per week. I dropped the cardio, because I was afraid I had been doing "chronic cardio." I decided to change my routine based on reading Marks book, and checking out some of Marks post on weight training. He suggested StrongLifts5x5 (Complex move with free weights - Squat, overhead press, bench press, inverted rows, push ups, reverse curl, planks, dead lift). I'm starting my second week. I'm very tired but now weight loss. I've also included some low level cardio (45 min walk or stationary bike) and one HIIT per week. One the weekend I did an hour and a half walk. I'm curious what anyone would recommend should I lift 3x/wk or 2/wk and do you think I'm on track with the cardio. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kane Guest

Hey, I say stick with the lifting 3x a week, resistance training is so important. Try sprinting on your days off as well, sprint intervals pretty much melt fat off you. Drop all steady state cardio (jogging etc.) It just takes up precious time!

I don't see the G & T being a problem...

-Kane

Thanks Kane. I'm not running at all, I did drop that except for when I sprint (HIIT). I walk or bike 3x/wk and take one day rest. I can feel all the exercise is working because I am so tired, I just crash at around 7pm. The weight loss has not shown up yet. What if its 2 G & T's?

worthc is offline Junior Member

When I lost my 30lbs a year ago, I gave up alcohol until i reached my goal. Then I enjoyed the beer again. Be sure to eat breakfast. (eggs, bacon.) I am with Kane and recommend lifting heavy 3x/week. Do full body movements, squats (3x8-10)or (5x5). Deadlift, pullups, and dips. Worked for me. You gotta lift heavy to keep the muscle and lose the lbs. My opinion and experience.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Okay, I'm going to stick to the 3x/wk. It's kicking my butt, I am so tired. I have 4 eggs every morning, Big A$$ Salad for lunch, dinner is usually something off of this website here, definitely primal. Snacks would be beef jerky or a few nuts. Not eating much fruit right now, just some strawberries now and again. I know diet is not the issue here. I'll add the extra day, and I'll hold off on the G & T. I've held off the IF's for about 2 weeks so I think I'll start that up again.

@chima_p 44yrs, 5'7", 182, 43% BF, protein about 20-25% of my diet, fat about 65-75%, cals about 1800. On average.

Mark says to walk every day, I guess I should do that on the days I lift but, I really don't want to be in the gym more than an hour.

Thanks for all the advice!

Vick is offline Senior Member

People think I'm nuts when I suggest this link.

http://www.nautilusnorth.com/program.html

I've lost 30 lbs since August on less than 20 minutes of exercise a week. Diet change was cutting out 6 slices of bread (2 at breakfast and 2 sandwiches at lunch.) and a potato at dinner.

If you are beating yourself up physically you are doing something wrong.

My exercise is NOT about burning calories. It is about being so intense it draws the glucose out of my muscles, and causes microtrauma. I rest so that my muscles can adapt, heal and grow. It works.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

You could be one of thhose people who can't handle working out in ketosis. I couldn't either and there are a few others here as well.

Perhaps increasing your carbs (stay below 100g) and the occasional refeed (150-200g) might help.

You don't "need" to be in ketosis too lose fat.

Could be hormonal as well.

Or you could be over training for your ability to recover.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Stats Gin and tonic (2 ounces gin, 4 ounces tonic water): 21 carb grams, 178 calories. Martini (2.5 ounces gin, splash of dry vermouth): 0 carb grams, 175 calories.

I've heard on various body building websites (sorry, I'm too lazy to verify which ones) that metabolizing alcohol puts a screeching halt to fat burning. If that's a daily habit, I'd say that's the most likely problem.

You're working your butt off and keeping your food tight. Is a nightly gin and tonic really worth undoing all that?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The tonic is totally carb heavy.

ALSO, alcohol stops Ketosis dead in it's tracks, due to the liver's part in attacking/ processing the sugars in the alcohol to a carb-source (please forgive my 'non-scientific' explanation ;-).

Either way, with IF and constant workouts, if I have ONE alcoholic drink, my fat loss totally stalls, so the science that I read on this seems to be consistent with my results (or lack thereof).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast