Thread: Pork/Chicken Omega 6 question...? page

Rhyno is offline Member

Pork/Chicken Omega 6 question...?

So from what I have read... the Omega 6 levels in both Pork and Chicken are quite high, and I've read that the ratios of the Omegas are what is important.

So in otherwards- If I take enough fishoil (DHA 500) will that negate the "Harmful" effects of the Omega 6's??

Thanks in advance!! - Rhyno

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    Both have a fairly reasonable long chain PUFA ratio between 3:1 and 6:1 (6s:3s). Their short long PUFA ratio is much worse at about 20:1. Fish have a long chain PUFA ratio of about 1:20. Chris Kresser said to eat mostly ruminants and balance pork/chicken with fish. As long as your eating about 400g (1lb) of fish per week don't worry about the omega 6s from chicken and pork.

Of course this depends to some extent of how they're fed

The Paleo Premise: Nutrient Database

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I find it hard to eliminate all O6s so I make sure I eat fish 3 days weekly and take lots of O3 daily.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenhamley View Post
    As long as your eating about 400g (1lb) of fish per week don't worry about the omega 6s from chicken and pork.
    Where did this number come from? Seems rather low to me. I typically eat 300-350g of fish in one meal, and I do think one should eat fish more than once a week...?

Of course, if one portion is 200g for you, that would be two meals per week, which is better, but I'm still curious where the number came from. I think it also shows that absolute numbers are quite useless in a context like this.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Just don't OD on the pork/chicken and enjoy the meal

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    You're right, absolute numbers aren't a one size fits all. 500mg is what Rhyno is taking or plans to take. 400g of fish per week roughly translates into about 500mg of long chain omega 3 per day. This is based off data from the USDA nutrient database. In regards to the small amount, fish have a much higher proportion of PUFA than chicken and pork and a massive ratio in favour of omega 3s

And of course it's ideal to eat whole foods rather than supplements.

Sorry I should have made all of that clear

For example:
    100g of rainbow trout has 0.217g of EPA, 0.091g of DPA and 0.516g of DHA for a total of 0.824g long chain omega 3s.
    Multiply by 4 to get 3.296g of long chain omega 3s for 400g of trout
    Divide by 7 to get 0.471g of long chain omega 3s per day
    Pretty close to 500mg
    Last edited by Stevenhamley; 10-10-2011 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added more info

norak is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenhamley View Post
    You're right, absolute numbers aren't a one size fits all. 500mg is what Rhyno is taking or plans to take. 400g of fish per week roughly translates into about 500mg of long chain omega 3 per day. This is based off data from the USDA nutrient database. In regards to the small amount, fish have a much higher proportion of PUFA than chicken and pork and a massive ratio in favour of omega 3s
    I see. For Omega-3 I think it should also be noted that you should eat fat fish, like salmon, mackerel, sardines, etc. Anyway, the recommendations I've always been told is to eat fat fish at least two times per week. I try to do this by eating salmon, although I can't get my hands of wild-caught salmon, so it's all farmed.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"