Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Thoughtful reviews of "Wheat Belly" page

  1. #1
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736

    Thoughtful reviews of "Wheat Belly"

    I've been happily wheat-free for almost a year now, so I was initially thrilled to see this book by Dr. Davis. After reading some of the exaggerated claims he has been making on his blog, and having him shrug off my feedback about one of these claims, I have rethought my promotion of his book.

    I will still be promoting wheat-free, but will share other resources that are more grounded in evidence, like PB!

    Here are a couple of insightful reviews by a couple of my favorite Primal bloggers:
    Evolutionary Psychiatry: Slam-dunked and Wheat Belly
    Wheat Belly | Hunt.Gather.Love.

    Dr. Kurt Harris has said he will be reviewing the book as well.

  2. #2
    dado's Avatar
    dado Guest
    yea the woman from evpsych destroys the book. i loved that review.

  3. #3
    SouthernDink's Avatar
    SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    130
    I got it and it is now collecting dust :/
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

  4. #4
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    Do you guys think these help "the movement" ?? I understand Wheat Belly isn't necessarily a "go paleo/primal" type of book, but supposedly the prescribed diet is reminiscent of both? he also advises against replacement foods (gluten-free options, etc) so isn't it generally a step in the right direction? I haven't and don't really intend to read it, but a friend picked it up and she's enjoying not eating wheat and is claiming better energy, etc. She is also going to share it with her sister and some friends of ours are claiming interest in reading it as well. They need it (they're overweight) so even if its not the most accurate or responsible piece of work it's still doing some positive things...

  5. #5
    Catherine's Avatar
    Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I've been happily wheat-free for almost a year now, so I was initially thrilled to see this book by Dr. Davis. After reading some of the exaggerated claims he has been making on his blog, and having him shrug off my feedback about one of these claims, I have rethought my promotion of his book.

    I will still be promoting wheat-free, but will share other resources that are more grounded in evidence, like PB!

    Here are a couple of insightful reviews by a couple of my favorite Primal bloggers:
    Evolutionary Psychiatry: Slam-dunked and Wheat Belly
    Wheat Belly | Hunt.Gather.Love.

    Dr. Kurt Harris has said he will be reviewing the book as well.
    ouch! That 2nd one! I particularly enjoyed this item out that review: "Sadly, there is no such thing as a healthy baked good", in reference to the almond flour muffin recipe.

    I bought & read Wheat Belly. His "talky" style did get a little annoying and i'm sure as the first reviewer pointed out that maybe he made some careless statements. And yes maybe it's all a bit alarmist to point to wheat as THE culprit for nearly every modern ill, when refined sugar products are just as bad. The fact that he doesn't recommend gluten-free food shows he's sort of recommending a more low-glycemic diet than gluten-free diet.

    However, i did think it was a good book to get people more interested in ditching grains. I loaned it to a co-worker.

  6. #6
    Yvonne PHX's Avatar
    Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Do you guys think these help "the movement" ?? I understand Wheat Belly isn't necessarily a "go paleo/primal" type of book, but supposedly the prescribed diet is reminiscent of both? he also advises against replacement foods (gluten-free options, etc) so isn't it generally a step in the right direction? I haven't and don't really intend to read it, but a friend picked it up and she's enjoying not eating wheat and is claiming better energy, etc. She is also going to share it with her sister and some friends of ours are claiming interest in reading it as well. They need it (they're overweight) so even if its not the most accurate or responsible piece of work it's still doing some positive things...
    I haven't read Wheat Belly, but if Dr. Dean's assessment is true, then -- No, I don't think it helps the cause. If the book lacks real science, real risks, real data and relies on hyperbole and nonsense, then it will eventually be debunked. And, that will only serve to make all claims against grain look like woo woo.

  7. #7
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    I haven't read Wheat Belly, but if Dr. Dean's assessment is true, then -- No, I don't think it helps the cause. If the book lacks real science, real risks, real data and relies on hyperbole and nonsense, then it will eventually be debunked. And, that will only serve to make all claims against grain look like woo woo.
    Exactly.

  8. #8
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    My point was more along the lines of....

    Perhaps this is an unfair assumption (I definitely do this a lot...) but I'd wager that the majority of people compelled to pick up this book will be:

    a) somewhat over-weight.
    b) unaware of paleo/primal, in other words, this is the first they'll ever be told not to eat grains.
    c) have heard of Wheat Belly through Fox & Friends, or Dr. Oz, or other such programming.

    Chances are these folks aren't looking for the footnotes, or wondering where this Dr. is getting his information from. Most will probably just say "well, this guy is a doctor and doctors don't make things up..." so while I'm not opposed to the criticism, I think this book can still serve as an intro. Those (and there will be few) that are truly curious and want to seek more stuff will find it. They'll find the rest of the paleosphere or whatever. The rest will probably just be happy to lose a few lbs and may incorporate the info into their lives, for them, Davis has done a good thing.

  9. #9
    DarthFriendly's Avatar
    DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    And, that will only serve to make all claims against grain look like woo woo.
    Riiiiiight, because we all know that the way skepticism works is that once something has been deemed "woo" all things even remotely tangentially related to the first thing are verboten, and anyone who ever mentions them as being anything other than "woo" is obviously a gullible nitwit or a vile fraud and must similarly be ignored, vilified for all time hence forth. Skeptics must always agree with each other about who they wish to revile all the time, and will uncritically accept the "woo" designation on any subject that any other skeptic makes.

    Because we all know that's exactly how it works, and if you disagree than you're "woo".

  10. #10
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    My point was more along the lines of....

    Perhaps this is an unfair assumption (I definitely do this a lot...) but I'd wager that the majority of people compelled to pick up this book will be:

    a) somewhat over-weight.
    b) unaware of paleo/primal, in other words, this is the first they'll ever be told not to eat grains.
    c) have heard of Wheat Belly through Fox & Friends, or Dr. Oz, or other such programming.

    Chances are these folks aren't looking for the footnotes, or wondering where this Dr. is getting his information from. Most will probably just say "well, this guy is a doctor and doctors don't make things up..." so while I'm not opposed to the criticism, I think this book can still serve as an intro. Those (and there will be few) that are truly curious and want to seek more stuff will find it. They'll find the rest of the paleosphere or whatever. The rest will probably just be happy to lose a few lbs and may incorporate the info into their lives, for them, Davis has done a good thing.
    I hear you, Iniquity. The bottom line is that I have my own integrity to uphold, even if Dr. Davis doesn't have a problem with stretching the truth in order to sell books.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •