Thread: Kombucha FAIL page

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member

Kombucha FAIL

Shop Now
    I grew a nice healthy SCOBY from a bottle of kombucha and sweet tea. On Friday I washed a 2-gallon glass jar and lid, and rinsed with white vinegar. I added sweet tea, my SCOBY, and about half a cup on the liquid the SCOBY grew in. I then covered the jar with a dish towel, and then placed the glass lid on top, figuring the glass lid wouldn't provide a good enough covering for our purposes. I checked on the kombucha tonight, and to my horror and depression, there are patches of white/black fuzzy growing on top! I am assuming this is some sort of fungi or mold
    I am so disappointed in losing the time and having to start over! I am fairly certain my problem was a less-than-sterile dishtowel, but I also left the pot of sweet tea out overnight (it was covered though) to cool to room temperature. Any suggestions? How should I cover it next time to prevent this issue?

Goal: Feel good, be active!

hedgehog is offline Junior Member
    Leaving the pot out overnight has never been a problem for me, as long as I keep the lid on it. A less-than-sterile dishtowel would definitely be enough to cause some contamination though. I use disposable coffee filters to cover the jar, as they are cheap and I don't have to worry about whether they've been washed well enough.

You shouldn't put the glass lid over your towel/filter because the kombucha needs to be able to get air. That's why you use a porous cover. I don't think this would cause mold though.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    You shouldn't put the glass lid over your towel/filter because the kombucha needs to be able to get air. That's why you use a porous cover.
    +1
    The towel doesn't need to be sterile, just clean. Evaporation caught by the glass lid caused your mold.

crackedpot is offline Member
    Make sure you throw it out and start over!
    Your Kombucha needs air - you can use a paper towel with a rubber band to hold it in place I have left my tea to cool overnight several times so I would worry too much about that -

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! I will go with the paper towel and rubberband for next time.. how depressing!! My poor SCOBY. Ah well, live and learn, yes? : )