Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difficult to stop "preaching" page

TriGirl is offline Member

Difficult to stop "preaching"

Shop Now
    Does anyone else find it difficult to stop with the comments about other peoples choices even though you know you are probably being really annoying?

I have this roommate that is really over weight, always talking about going to start this and that and loosing the weight. So I have been making a few suggestions, send her a link for this site, and let her borrow "wheat belly" since my entire book collection is in DK.

Told her to cut out all this stuff, read the labels on the food she bought, not really go on a diet and eat salads all week long, but instead eat great things like bacon and eggs, which you normally never would get near on a diet. I know that since she is so big it wouldn't take much to see improvements.

So yesterday we are going to the store for groceries and she fills up a big water bottle with sugary juice (as if the stuff is not sweet enough already) since she did not want to get thirsty.... When I mentioned to her that she might want to consider that that amount of juice would equal 1/4 my intake for the entire day and that it was just as bad as soda she just looked at me like ... well you know the look... So I have kept quiet ever since even though I find it so difficult!!!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Some people just aren't ready. Don't worry about them.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Don't bother with her. It will be a continuing exercise in frustration

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    You are probably making it worse. People need to make the decision themselves if they want to make a change.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Tri Girl,

I choose to Pontificate and be annoying. Eventually it sinks into their thick numb skulls and they eventually go on the Paleo Diet.
    I have had a dozen success stories by being annoying and Preaching the Paleo Diet. So I say keep it up, and you will win in the end.

PS) Give her some reports by Cardiologist Wm Davis. He is GREAT with his articles. They are short, easy to understand and get right to the point.
    Search his website for each subject you want to present. This will sway her opinion because it is a world renowned doctor telling her what to do, not you. Of course she won't listen to YOU. But she will listen to printouts from Dr. Davis or Doctor Kruse.

Dr. Davis
    http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/

Dr. Cruse
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post592706

So I say keep up the pressure, using these 2 doctors as your club. What do you think?
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-09-2011 at 02:58 PM.

MadelynMc is online now Senior Member
    I had little success trying to "convert" people because I get so excited talking about it that I sound like a babbling lunatic. My angle now is just to keep losing and looking good while at the same time posting pictures of all the delicious food I am eating/making. Then I just sit back and wait for the questions. You can just plant a little seed when they say "Oh, you look so good! What have you been doing???" or "That food looks so good, where did you get the recipe?" Bam.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadelynMc View Post
    I had little success trying to "convert" people because I get so excited talking about it that I sound like a babbling lunatic. My angle now is just to keep losing and looking good while at the same time posting pictures of all the delicious food I am eating/making. Then I just sit back and wait for the questions. You can just plant a little seed when they say "Oh, you look so good! What have you been doing???" or "That food looks so good, where did you get the recipe?" Bam.
    +1 Actions/results speak louder than words.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    +2 with MadelynMC's post. You get so excited in the beginning, and maybe even every time you see significant progress. That's the time when it's the easiest to start gushing about Primal and try to get everyone else on the bandwagon. Problem is, you start sounding like some cult member to anyone that hasn't already been looking into it. So they automatically give you the vague nod and exit as soon as politely possible.

Don't be that guy. Be the one that people turn to when they have a question because they know you'll answer it and not harass them. Don't be the one they avoid like the plague because they know they'll just end up feeling like they're being lectured. You won't win them over and you'll lose them as friends (and potential Primals) if you go overboard.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

TriGirl is offline Member
    I know, that has been my experience back home that people see the difference and ask what you did etc but this girl did not know me then... It's actually pretty funny, I was training for a half ironman while eating mostly like this, but finding it really hard due to the increased workouts and everything... Then I got injured, stopped the heavy training load and improved the eating, and dum dum dum - lost 10 pounds... Really shows that theres so much to the whole thing... Now Im back to training and doing much better since the nutrition is already somewhat dialed in.

I am definitely going to lay back a little and see if she will come ask me herself... Grizz thanx for the links great reads

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yeah it's a hard one. I was watching TV with my mum the other day and someone mentioned that a person had chicken for breakfast. ALL I said was, 'that's a healthy breakfast', and my mum gave me one of those looks and said 'yes, I know, no need to go on about it'. WTF!!! LOL

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast