Thread: My beloved chia seeds? Thumbs down by Cordain! Thoughts? page

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member

My beloved chia seeds? Thumbs down by Cordain! Thoughts?

Shop Now
    --
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 12-01-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

dado Guest
    but, but.... the tarahumara eat them and they run for hundreds of miles. the sober ones at least.

xntrik is offline Member
    I see chia seeds touted for their omega 3 and protein, but short chain omega 3 from seeds is inferior to long chain omega 3 from fish, and as far as I'm concerned, plant proteins are inferior to animal proteins. So, the chia craze is one that I'm perfectly happy to ignore.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xntrik View Post
    I see chia seeds touted for their omega 3 and protein, but short chain omega 3 from seeds is inferior to long chain omega 3 from fish, and as far as I'm concerned, plant proteins are inferior to animal proteins. So, the chia craze is one that I'm perfectly happy to ignore.
    Word.

Think about how many seeds you eat at any given time. Then imagine gathering all those seeds yourself. Then imagine how often you might come across a chia plant in the wild. It may be fine to munch on a few every now and then, but not a handful daily or however much it is that chia seed lovers eat. Same goes for any seed.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think they are fun, but they give me stomach pains - just like nuts. My body seems to be the worlds best lectin detector

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Short but true story: before going primal I went through a chia and quinoa-phase. And shortly thereafter I developed leaky gut. I believe it took me a decadeof bad habits to get it, but the chia and quinoa was the last drop my body needed before getting ill. I don't eat it anymore.

farsi is offline Junior Member
    I've been taking chia seeds mixed with water and honey as part of my diet for more than two years now. I eat paleo/primal and am very active. I suffer from autoimmune disorder and had a really bad leaky gut when I turned to this diet and lifestyle as a solution. After two years of clean eating and careful tracking and analysis of how every single item in my diet affects my body, I have made incredible progress and feel much better and enjoy better health. Even with all those changes my blood pressure and cholesterol levels were slightly elevated. After adding chia to my diet, both dropped to normal levels for the first time in 15 yers. I have no discomfort from the chia, and quite the opposite, I feel better after I drink them. I feel so strongly about how important chia is to my health that I started a company that sells single serving packets of them.

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Been mixing chia seeds with water for years, they are awesome. This one example why I do not believe in diet labels, you are missing out to many amazing products for the body. Just eat healthy, stay away from crap.

biko is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Almost daily I grind one tbsp of it, put it in water for like 10 min before consuming.
    One of the few things that helped my IBS / digestion.