Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What supplements do you take? page 4

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Over the last couple of years the chatter about vitamin D has grown from a whisper to a roar. I will post a few links in a second post, since sometimes posts with links take a few hours to show up. However, I am not a compendium of vitamin D references, nor is it my mission to convince Tarlach or anyone else to get their vit D level checked or take vit D. If you are interested in anything specific, you will have to do some Googling on your own.

Regarding dosing, check out the latest post on Heart Scan Blog. Davis' comments echo those of lots of MDs. Check out Kurt Harris' (PaNu) posts on vitamin D. Check out the Vitamin D Council recommendations, and browse their website. (The September 2009 newsletter includes an fascinating anecdotal report of vitamin D and H1N1 susceptibility.) A recent letter in JAMA argues that both the RDA and max safe intake should be revised upward by a lot.

I first came to this issue as a La Leche League leader. La Leche League is a non-profit, worldwide organization dedicated to breastfeeding support and research.

As a leader I frequently fielded questions from new moms who were being hassled by their pediatricians to give vitamin D drops to their breastfed newborns. At the time, LLL's official position was that this decision should be between the parents and physician, but that there was no evidence to believe that breastmilk is insufficient in vitamin D or any other micronutrients. We advised parents that frequent, brief sun exposure (for the baby) should be enough.

However, over the last couple of years, LLL has completely reversed their stance on vitamin D supplementation. It was made official in 2009. According to them, infant supplementation is not just a nice idea...it is necessary.

But that's just babies. What about adults?

Sure, with a few minutes of exposure to your face and hands you may get enough to prevent fractures. But let's be logical about it. Grok got a lot more than 3 minutes a day, didn't he? Is it really so crazy to suggest that sun exposure and much higher vitamin D levels were critical to his health?

For most of us, it is not practical to get enough sun exposure to raise our vit D to ~50-70ng/ml. That is the range many MDs and researchers seem to believe is adequate. Therefore we need to replace exposure to sunlight with vitamin D supplements.

(Example: I am a redhead. I apply sunscreen only when I am going to be in direct sunlight for more than an hour between 10am and 2pm. I spend shorter amounts of time in the sun without any sunscreen. My kids and I spend a lot of time at the beach during the summer. I was taking 1400IU vitamin D per day, in tablet form. In September, my vit D level was only 40ng/ml. Based on my reading, I consider that to be inadequate for optimal health. Now I am taking 4000IU per day, in gelcaps. That is still less than Davis and others recommend, but I will be getting my level re-checked soon, and I will revise my vit D intake upward if I am not up around 60ng/ml.)

It is becoming clear that vitamin D levels are related to much more than skeletal health. Data is emerging that suggests vitamin D deficiency is linked to infectious disease (TB and influenza, among others), cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, and autoimmune disease. Google it, though the TB stuff may not yet be published. If that particular topic interests anyone, LMK and I will go dig up something from the research conference it was presented at last year.

Yeah, yeah, correlation is not causation. However, plausible mechanisms are garnering support via basic research. The bottom line is that the avalanche of data from various fields of medical research is getting very hard to brush off.

William Davis' blog, 1/11/10 posting and many others

http://www.heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search/label/vitamin%20D

Kurt Harris' blog, scroll down to see post topics on right edge of screen

http://www.paleonu.com/

Vitamin D Council

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

JAMA letter, 12/16/09

http://www.natap.org/2009/newsUpdates/122109_03.htm

Article that appeared in LLL's leader publication

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVIss1-2009p2.html

Tarlach wrote:

"So the average Vit D supplement user had lower 25(OH)D(3) than those who did not supplement."

Actually, more of the supplement users reached the target level of 75ng/ml, though I doubt the difference was statistically significant.

But you've missed the point. The point of the paper is that if levels of 50-75ng/ml are considered minimally adequate, even supplement users aren't getting enough. Remember, this was just a population study. They weren't telling anyone how much to take. They were just doing a survey. The results should serve as a call to action.

So, why weren't all of the supplement users vitamin D sufficient? I have a few guesses.

1) The abstract doesn't tell us how much the supplement users were taking. It probably wasn't 6,000 IU per day.

2) We don't whether they were taking their supplements in gelcap form or in tablets. Tablet form is not effectively absorbed unless it is taken with a fatty meal.

3) And though this last possibility is less likely, we don't know whether they were taking vitamin D2 or D3. D2 is only available by prescription in the US, and ironically, it seems much less effective than D3 at raising vitamin D levels. Could Finnish women be taking D2 rather than D3?

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

1000mg Omega 3 fish oil

Probiotic vitamin supplement

nina_70 Guest

Fish oil (3g), vitamin D (8,000IU) daily

Freeze-dried grass-fed organs 1x/week (since I

simply don't eat sufficient fresh organs)

Onto the Vit D subject, I never thought I needed supplementation until I got tested. I get adequate daily sun exposure according to all the calculators yet my tested levels were very low (25 ng/ml).

My stance on supplementation:

Not all people are able to metabolize or convert the supplements they need naturally, for whatever reason. That's when you should supplement. So, get tested and then decide.

I may very well have poor vitamin D3 conversion & it may be genetic. Interestingly enough both my mother, sister and myself have suffered from chronic depression in our past. Adding Fish Oil helped alot. Vit D is helping even more. Wish I'd known this when I was younger.

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

But you've missed the point. The point of the paper is that if levels of 50-75ng/ml are considered minimally adequate, even supplement users aren't getting enough
    </blockquote>

I haven&#39;t missed the point. Did you ever consider that the target dose was too high? Even with more sun exposure (and supplements) people weren&#39;t reaching it. The body regulates vitamin D production (so that you can never overdose from synthesis).

Is 50-75 an obtainable target? Do primal eaters require that much? I&#39;ve heard plenty of people say they were tested low even though they spend a lot of time in the sun. ie. The prior post.

The hot burnt feeling you get in the bodies way of telling you to get out of the sun.

I doubt Grok spent all day in the sun. He would have had the same reacion. He would have preferred to sit in the shade in summer and rug up in winter.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Tarlach, the target dose wasn&#39;t too high. But don&#39;t take my word for it. Do some reading. I&#39;ve given you some good links to get you started, and I&#39;m sure you know how to Google.

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I take vit. D, Fermented CLO, Cal/mag/zinc, a b complex

For those of you who take O3, when/how do you take it?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234