Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What supplements do you take? page 3

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

@Tarlach - I'm not a huge fan of supplementation either.

But what about vitamin D? Technically that's not supplementation, as the goal is to replace the vit D we should be getting from sun exposure. Do you not find the reasoning and evidence compelling? Or are you one of those rare individuals who is vitamin D sufficient (50-70ng/dl) without supplementation?

Tarlach is offline Member

I try and get outside as much as I can.

There's a lot of misinformation about vitamin D and it's not really that hard to get enough if you eat a lot of meat.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2009/12/vitamin-d-and-uv-fluctuations-2.html

But even based on the RDA this calculator (http://nadir.nilu.no/~olaeng/fastrt/..._quartMED.html ) says that at least every other day (this time of year) I need my face, hands and arms exposed for 3 minutes to obtain sufficient vitamin D, equivalent of 25 micrograms vitamin D, if no dietary vitamin D is available.

* it is summer in Australia. It comes up as 17 minutes in the middle of winter (for a clear day).

Vitamin D has a decent half life and you don't need to hit a certain level every day. Also supplementation of Vitamin D is of very questionable value

etc...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

GotPrimal Guest

Tarlach,

Pete's article doesn't really come out and say anything other than addressing bone density and loss. Vit D(3) does quite a few more things.

How much meat does one need to eat to sustain healthy levels of 25 (OH)D?

There are several MDs that would disagree with your last assessment.

mstrudle is offline Member

2 teaspoons cod liver oil

5 grams fish oil

2,000 IU Vitamin D3

Tarlach is offline Member

What are you actually worried about from vitamin D?

As a natural source one small serving of fish will give you 100-200% of the RDA for vit D.

...and MD's are never wrong?
    [quote]

RESULTS: In spring, 60.3% of the women had 25(OH)D(3) <or=50 nmol/l, and the target of 75 nmol/l was reached by 9.1%. For supplement users, the respective numbers were 52.1 and 11.9%.
    </blockquote>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19841043

So the average Vit D supplement user had lower 25(OH)D(3) than those who did not supplement.

Supplemental D3 is probably also a metabolite and does not actually address the bodily needs of the parent compound (in the same way that DHA and EPA can not replace the functions of ALA/LA)

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

wrapdaul Guest

Supplement bars are normally chosen for health benefits that the body can gain with various formulas performing different duties.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

a lot depends on the type of supplement. not sure that eating fish oil is necessarily worse than eating the fish, especially if you can&#39;t get the fish regularly. plus it matters what kind of fish and so on and so forth.

anyway this study was done on elderly Finnish women, so post-menopausal and thus not so useful for fertile women, though possibly a bit for men.

i think limited supplement use is crucial for us fertile women. men might be able to slide by on meat only, but i do think there are real limits to trying to derive total nutrition from wild and pastured meat (though certainly it is the best one can do, there has been a lot of erosion and pollution affecting land quality and water quality).

sadly cannot find that post talking about supplement absorption. i suppose it&#39;ll turn up when i am not thinking about looking for it.

stevew is offline Member

Omega 3 1-3000mg

Vit D3 2,400-4,800 IU

ZMA

CLA

Occasionally calcium/magnesium

I&#39;m in England and have a fairly dark toned skin so there&#39;s little chance of hitting my vitamin D needs!

CLA I tend to take if I&#39;m not able to get hold of good organic cream.

ZMA I take if I feel like I really need a good nights sleep. If I take it too often my dreams and sleep pattern goes a bit weird.

stevew is offline Member

Oh and not necessarily a supplement but I drink nettle tea pretty much every day to keep inflammation down

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

I haven&#39;t started supplements yet due to poverty but am hoping to. I&#39;m also concerned about the environmental impact of overfishing. If someone could address that for me I would appreciate it. Is there anything out there that combines the fish oil WITH vit D? Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast