Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm losing lean body mass!?! page

khmervyn is offline Junior Member

I'm losing lean body mass!?!

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I am new to the Forum & need some primal nutrition help. I am 32 years old and have been living the primal lifestyle since July 2011. I have been feeling great, although initially struggled to wrap my head around all the fat!Lol!

Anyways, I was encouraged by my personal trainer that I wasn't getting enough calories & needed to up my carb intake....basically add in grains, so under her advice I fell off the wagon for 2 weeks, and was a mess! Emotional frustrated with the low carb high protein low fat diet. She saw the change and we agreed I should go back to what was working. So I returned to the Primal lifestyle....that was 4 weeks ago, and I did body compostion testing that we repeated yesterday....basically in 4 weeks I have lost 12 pounds of lean body mass!!! No change in fat!

So my question do I need more calories? More carbs? More fat? I was feeling some fatigue these last couple days. I do Crossfit 5 days a week. I eat about 130 grams of protein, 80-100 grams of carbs (mostly veggies) and about 100 grams of fat. I have tried fit day.com to make sure these measurements hover around there. I have lost 46lbs since Jan2011 and have I think 35lbs of fat to go to reach 22% bodyfat (my goal weight) I weigh 202lbs and am 5'7" tall. I hope you all can help me figure out where to go from here, as most of the trainers at my gym are pushing grains & want me to see a Dietician, who will most likely hate my lifestyle! lol!

Thanks so much!
    Kim

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Don't people who exercise as much as you do need some starches?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'd eat even more veggies. High-carb greens like broccoli and zucchini will give your body more energy so it doesn't have to burn muscle as a quick fix. It's pretty hard to over-do the greens, especially for the athletic folks. Protein and fat look fine afaict. Could even eat a little more protein if you wanted to.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    whoa...wtf? 12lbs of lean body mass lost?

How much of the veggies portion that you consume are root veggies?

What tool is used to measure your body fat?

You said you are feeling fatique...maybe more yams or sweet potatoes after workouts would help. Do you already eat those types of foods after a training session?

When you did add the grains, did you notice any improvement in your energy and lifts?

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    I'm skeptical. Have you actually lost strength?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Is it possible the test wasn't accurate? I would think you would notice something more than just a little recent fatigue if you actually lost that much muscle that quickly.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Something doesn't sound right here. I am reading correctly that your trainer who doesn't support you giving up grains is the same person who gave you the body fat test? Was it a caliper test? Maybe he/she had a little subconscious bias that skewed the test?

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    The carb quantity is vegetables is ridiculous and they are wiped clean by our gut flora in no time: eat some starches like potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, taro or cassava.

khmervyn is offline Junior Member
    I am going to try adding some sweet potatoes after Crossfit with protein & fat and see what happens in the next 4 weeks. Our trainers use an elctolipograph to do these measurements. When I reintroduced grains I noticed I was lifting better had more energy the first 2 workouts and then started to feel like crap, brain fog, digestion issues, overly emotional by the third and fourth day. I know I want to stick with the primal way of life, as feel way better eating this way. I just need to tweak my carb intake. Thanks for your suggestions!

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    Where u eating grains as in all grains? If u just ate safe starches u'd be better off like white rice, potatoes and such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast