Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would an ideally balanced omega 3:6 ratio look like in food stuffs? page

Anna Grace is offline Junior Member

Question What would an ideally balanced omega 3:6 ratio look like in food stuffs?

I have been reading all about the ratios, but which foods would i want to eat in what amounts to have an ideal ratio? is it pretty much the same for each person or does everyone vary in the amounts of each they need?

Thanks for your answers!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    1:4 for humans (3 to 6)

ETA: unless you are able to afford fresh organic everything you my friend are looking at supplementation. There are two stages. getting the body right and then holding it there.

in my n=1 you can move it to balance as fast as you can afford to spend on it. I raised my HDL 20 points ( a good thing for me ) in 6 weeks, but i also supplemented like nobodies business.
    Last edited by quelsen; 10-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Just limit your omega 6 intake...

If you don't eat nuts or seeds then this is not too difficult.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

pagebooks is offline Junior Member
    If you're eating a low carb diet which most of us are, then fats make up a significant portion of your daily intake. Most fats whether vegetable or animal have significantly more omega-6 than omega-3. In fact the only source of the all important EPA omega-3 fatty acid is in seafood. Consequently achieving a 4 to 1 omega 6/3 ratio requires that you increase your omega-3 considerably either by eating lots of seafood or more probably supplementing with omega-3 EPA. Reducing omega-6 is not easy because its present in so many fats. Nuts and avocados are particularly high in omega-6 so cutting back on them makes sense.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pagebooks View Post
    If you're eating a low carb diet which most of us are, then fats make up a significant portion of your daily intake. Most fats whether vegetable or animal have significantly more omega-6 than omega-3. In fact the only source of the all important EPA omega-3 fatty acid is in seafood. Consequently achieving a 4 to 1 omega 6/3 ratio requires that you increase your omega-3 considerably either by eating lots of seafood or more probably supplementing with omega-3 EPA. Reducing omega-6 is not easy because its present in so many fats. Nuts and avocados are particularly high in omega-6 so cutting back on them makes sense.
    I was under the impression that avocados were mostly monounsaturated fat anyway. Even if the ratio sucks it's not like it's not like the PUFA content is too too high.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    100g of avocado
    1.674g of LA
    0.125g of ALA
    Ratio 13:1
    Avocado doesn't have too much PUFA. And most people don't guzzle down heaps of avocado or olive oil, or at least compared to animal fats. Nuts are much worse due to their much higher total PUFA

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    You want to try to keep PUFAs (o3 or o6 doesn't matter) below 4% of your total caloric intake anyway. If you have to supplement, you are probably eating too much of it. Chicken and Pork are higher in PUFA than Beef. I try to balance it out by eating Beef and Chicken/Pork one day and Beef and Fish the next.
    There is nothing "wrong" with taking an o3 supplement, but it usually used to offset the inflammation caused by the o6 that everyone eats in a 40:1 ratio per day on the SAD.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    You want to try to keep PUFAs (o3 or o6 doesn't matter) below 4% of your total caloric intake anyway. If you have to supplement, you are probably eating too much of it. Chicken and Pork are higher in PUFA than Beef. I try to balance it out by eating Beef and Chicken/Pork one day and Beef and Fish the next.
    There is nothing "wrong" with taking an o3 supplement, but it usually used to offset the inflammation caused by the o6 that everyone eats in a 40:1 ratio per day on the SAD.
    +1
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

trail chick is offline Junior Member
    I also need advice on this topic -- when I eat a "regular" day of chicken breast and salad with olive oil, eggs for breakfast, and a sensible Primal lunch, my 6:3 ratio (on PaleoTracker) is still 15:1 - way too high. But if I take a fish oil supplement, I'm back in the healthy range at 2:1. So why not supplement? I can't necessarily eat fish every day (I'm pregnant) and it seems like the best way to go. Not that I'm in to just popping a pill, but it seems like keeping that ratio in the healthy range is a serious challenge.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you eating the skin on the chicken breast? That will put it way out of whack. There is hardly any fat at all in a skinless chicken breast.
    What is "a sensible Primal lunch?" For me, it would be a 1lbs ribeye with 4 cups of spinach sauteed in butter. Very little PUFAs at all in that whole lunch.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast