Thread: Joe's Journey page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I started out husky (high school football player) but by my freshmen year in college I had ballooned up to almost 360 LBS. I initially started out with the Atkin's Diet and lost about 30 LBS only to gain it all back when I started eating normally again. A few months later I started working out A LOT (weight training 5 days/week, cardio training 6 days/week). That level of activity in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet (2500 calories of whole wheat bread, brown rice, raisin bran, lean meats, and some fruits and vege's - the usual) I managed to drop 70 LBS over the summer and another 50 LBS over the course of the next year - this inspired me to change my major to Exercise Science. By the time I graduated I was a 230 LB lean, mean, fighting machine and I felt terrific.

Well, as is usually the case, I couldn't resist (I chose not to resist) the temptation of junk food. I gained 50 LBS seemingly overnight which shocked and depressed me. This sparked a 5 year binge-fest which ended with me weighing 385 LBS.

Fearing 400 LBS, and unwilling to apply for jobs in my Field at this weight, I read The Paleo Diet, Good Calories/Bad Calories, and Protein Power. I began eating more Paleo-like on December 30th, 2009. Within the first week I lost 12 LBS. At first I ate only lean meats, fruit (mostly as homemade juice), vege's, nuts, and olive oil. This past week I've stepped up the fat intake (bacon, canola oil, olive oil, heavy cream, hard cheese) and have reduced my carbs to less than 75g/day. I'm also drinking a lot of purified water (near 1 gallon/day) and some green tea w/ limited amounts of splenda too. I'm hoping to have lost more weight but the increased fat and dairy intake has me scared a little bit (for no good reason I'm sure) - I weigh in again on January 13th.

I've been walking on a treadmill @ 3MPH almost every day for 45 minutes. I also lift free-weights, vigorously, 4 days each week. I plan to incorporate more cross-fit activities into my routine but not until I've gotten down closer to 300 LBS - I'm just too big and immobile right now.

I feel good overall. I'm not nearly as hungry as before (I eat when I'm hungry) and I feel better psychologically/emotionally. I wasn't sleeping too well at first (not unusual for me) but these past 2 nights I've slept more deeply. My energy level's definitely higher these days and I feel powerful in the gym. The only complaint I have so far is that my stomach's having some difficulty with the transition - I spent at least an hour on the toilet yesterday (not solid) and my stomach was churning most of the day. I feel OK today though.

I'm 6' tall and well-muscled already (from years of powerlifting) and I hope to work back down to 250 LBS and maintain most of my strength.

I plan to post often. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

void_provocateur Guest

I don't have much in the way of advice but support, I gots a lot of it. I'm on a journey to throw back roughly 85Lbs as of this moment. (I started off at 325, 5'11") I am trying to make it to 200, though I get the impression from my body composition and large bone frame that I will feel great at 210-220.

Cheers to you mate.

We're coming up to a month now and I expect to have lost about 20 lbs in that time which isn't too bad.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

It's been 42 days and I've lost 28 LBS.

Also, a reduction in blood pressure from 170/110 to 148/78. ***significant change as I always attributed my hypertension to both genetics AND lifestyle.

I'm never hungry and I mostly enjoy the food I'm eating but I'm having bowel-movement issues and I'm not sleeping all that well.

Anyways, not too shabby overall, eh?

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

Way to go Jokaman.

For the BM I have noticed that most of the advice seems to be that you aren't consuming enough fat if you are having problems...I'm still experimenting with it myself. Personally I have discovered, since the switch to primal, I have become a lighter sleeper.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

On some days I consume almost 200g of fat, much of that saturated.

----not enough?