Thread: Inflammatory / Anti-Inflammatory effect of different foods page

pagebooks is offline Junior Member

Inflammatory / Anti-Inflammatory effect of different foods

Shop Now
    I rely on the website SELFNutritiondata as a source of information about the nutritional makeup of various individual foods. Within the category of carbohydrates it distinguishes between sugars, starch and fiber. Within the category of fats it even distinguishes omega 3/6 fatty acids although it doesn't distinguish the individual fatty acids.

Another variable the website lists for each food is an inflamation factor. I have no idea how this parameter is measured. I have repeatedly heard that omega-6 fatty acids particularly Arachidonic Acid had a pronounced inflammatory effect, whereas the omega-3 fatty acid Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) had an anti-inflammatory effect.

As it turns out the website lists Coconut oil as strongly inflammatory while it lists Olive oil as strongly anti-inflammatory. At the same time it indicates that olive oil has more than fifty times as much omega-6 as coconut oil (neither oil has significant omega-3).
    Can anyone offer an explanation for this apparent contradiction.

Josh

jammies is offline Senior Member
    That is probably because the fat in coconut oil is saturated - the algorithm they use likely just lists anything with saturated fat as inflammatory.

I have autoimmunity and tried a "anti-inflammatory" diet based on conventional wisdom...I only got worse. Primal diet made all the difference. I'm not sure I would put too much stock in their definition of an inflammatory food.

pagebooks is offline Junior Member
    That's an interesting observation. I think I'll go to the SELFNutritionData website and check out a number of different high fat foods and look for the correlation you suggest.

Josh

Somebody is offline Junior Member
    If it's going by CW, the coconut would be inflammatory because of the saturated fats, whilst the olive oil is anti-inflammatory because it is mostly made up of monounsaturated fats.

Ignore that, eating coconut if one of the best things you could do for your health, assuming you are not allergic.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pagebooks View Post
    That's an interesting observation. I think I'll go to the SELFNutritionData website and check out a number of different high fat foods and look for the correlation you suggest.

Josh
    What did you find? I would be interested to see if the data is skewed or not based on CW.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.