Thread: 1st week primal and weighed today...confused! page

mrsgp101310 is offline Member

1st week primal and weighed today...confused!

Primal Fuel
    So Saturday is the day I measure and check body composition weekly. I am doing the Supreme90 program (on day 27) and have lost inches and body comp every week, until this week. I started eating primal this week on Monday and have been 100%. I started my period yesterday, tmi (which was 1.5 wks late). I still lost 1.25" this week (making my total inches lost 11.75 in 27 days), but I actually showed small increases in weight, body fat, and bmi. Small increases, like a tenth here, a couple of tenths there, but still increases, which I have not seen in close to 30 days.
    Would you think this is due to my period? Or due to going primal? I do feel bloated and am having bad cramps, especially since i was late....This is such a bad week to see an increase, my 1st wk starting primal. Now I'm worried and discouraged...Definately don't want any numbers to go up. I should stick it out and not give up primal yet, right? Please give your advice!

ZenGopher is offline Junior Member
    How old are you? How much weight do you want to lose? What was your diet like before you started Primal? What does a day's menu look like now? These are all factors in your journey. Everyone is different and you didn't put the weight on overnight. A week won't fix everything that's wrong.

I think what most people on MDA are going to tell you is ditch your scale for at least 30 days. The fact that you still changed your body comp and lost inches means more than what the scale says. Being that it's period time could also skew things a bit. (I never weigh myself the week of or the week prior)

Please keep in mind that while yes, most people will lose weight on Primal, weight loss isn't the be all and end all of this lifestyle--it's about your overall health. While your body is repairing damage you may not lose much. Once the damage is repaired, the weight will come off.

mrsgp101310 is offline Member
    My objective with starting the Supreme 90 day program was not to lose scale weight necessarily; if I did, great! If I didn't, fine. My purpose is to lose body fat and increase muscle. In fact, I havent even owned a scale in at least 10 yrs. My purpose of getting the body comp scale was to track body fat %, skeletal muscle % and visceral fat level mainly.
    To answer your questions above, I am 45, dont care how much weight I lose, but want to reduce body fat about 10%, increase muscle about 5% at least. My diet prior to starting primal was eating clean, especially since I started S90 27 days ago-lean meats, veggies, healthy fats, and of course whole grains. Typical menu now is 2 eggs, 2 pcs bacon or and omelette with bacon, onions, mushrooms, spinach for breakfast, leftovers usually for lunch (meat and salad), dinner is meat (steak, pork, salmon, ckn) and veg. A couple of times this week I have had 1/2 an apple w/almond butter either at breakfast or lunch also. After my workout (6 days/wk), I drink a protein smoothie with pp, water, some coconut milk and berries (blue and black). Been using butter evoo and coconut oil. This week I have cut out snacking, eating 3 meals a day. I have been keeping carbs bw about 50-65 daily.
    You are right in saying a week wont fix everything that's wrong, but up until this week, my numbers/percentages have come down for the past 3 weeks until now. I understand your point about ditching the scale for 30 days, but the point of doing my 90 day fitness program is to lower body fat and increase muscle and its the only way to track my results....
    Last edited by mrsgp101310; 10-08-2011 at 08:36 AM.

ZenGopher is offline Junior Member
    Body comp scales are notoriously unreliable. However, the fact your scale went up and your measurements went down says you may have gained muscle mass. I say "may" since you could easily have lost fat but are retaining water due to your new eating habits.

I'm not totally familiar with Supreme 90 but if it's got a lot of cardio, ditch that part of the program. Download Mark's free e-fitness book. If you really want to lower your body fat you need to lift heavy. And I mean HEAVY. Mark goes over the 5 essential moves any healthy person should be able to do and the exercises are on a curve, meaning he gives beginner, intermediate, expert forms. Here's a link to the WOWs (Workout of the Week). Workout of the Week (WOW) Archive | Mark's Daily Apple

Since it seems you have your eating pretty well dialed in (stay off the grains!) I'd head over to the fitness forum since that's really what your issue seems to be at this point. Getting to low body fat percentages is indeed an intake issue but even more so, a movement issue. There are some people over there who've been doing this a long time and have the abs to show for it. Good luck!

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgp101310 View Post
    So Saturday is the day I measure and check body composition weekly. I am doing the Supreme90 program (on day 27) and have lost inches and body comp every week, until this week. I started eating primal this week on Monday and have been 100%. I started my period yesterday, tmi (which was 1.5 wks late). I still lost 1.25" this week (making my total inches lost 11.75 in 27 days), but I actually showed small increases in weight, body fat, and bmi. Small increases, like a tenth here, a couple of tenths there, but still increases, which I have not seen in close to 30 days.
    Would you think this is due to my period? Or due to going primal? I do feel bloated and am having bad cramps, especially since i was late....This is such a bad week to see an increase, my 1st wk starting primal. Now I'm worried and discouraged...Definately don't want any numbers to go up. I should stick it out and not give up primal yet, right? Please give your advice!
    i think you're freaking out and need to calm down

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You're on your period, isn't weight gain always expected? I know my girls boobs alone get bigger/gain weight, so relax.

Also, stop weighing, it's stupid at the stage you're in.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Its your period you normally weigh heavier.
    Why did you change to primal if the other diet was working? I presume the programmevyou are on came with a dietary section?