Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin Pie Recipes? page

Goombi is offline Member

Pumpkin Pie Recipes?

Primal Fuel
    Thanksgiving is around the corner for us Canadians. I was looking around for pumpkin pie recipes and these three looked promising.

Anyone have reviews or suggestions for other recipes?

Thanks!

This Primal Life
    Everyday Paleo
    Primal Palate

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Goombi, I can't speak to the recipes you posted, but I have made the following at least two dozen times. It is quite popular among my friends and family, even those on the SAD.

Primal-ish Pumpkin Pie

Crust:
    1/4 cup organic ghee (melted)
    1/2 bag of almond flour from Whole Foods (don't remember the brand name but it's got a dude with a white beard on it. If you go for another brand, get the finest-ground almond flour available.)
    Mix together with a fork and line pyrex pie pan evenly. Cook for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees or until the crust starts to firm up a little. Prepare the filling while the crust is in the oven.

Filling:
    1 can organic pumpkin
    3 (or more!) pastured eggs
    3 capfuls of "pumpkin pie spice" (mostly nutmeg and cinnamon)
    1/4 can organic coconut milk, the creamier the better
    A few shakes of cinnamon (to balance out the nutmeg:cinnamon ratio)
    Dash of pink salt/sea salt
    Six packets of Truvia (this is where I lose the purists)

Whip with a fork or other blending device until homogenized and pour into heated crust. Bake for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees, until you can stick a knife in it and it comes out mostly clean. Eat while watching The Biggest Loser.

Goombi is offline Member
    Thanks! I'll add that one as well.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    I'm planning to make this or something pumpkin today for my book club tonight and am wondering what size pumpkin? I have two normal sized cans of and one large can.

Does anyone know? Thanks!

Lapin is offline Member
    I haven't made this specific recipe, but all of the others I've tried treat 15oz as the 'norm' for canned pumpkin.

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    I made crustless pumpkin pie for my boyfriend on the weekend and it was delish! We don't have canned pumpkin or pie pumpkins or pumpkin spice in Australia so this is from scratch and using a butternut pumpkin (aka butternut squash).

- 1 butternut pumpkin, roasted in pieces under foil until very soft, deseeded, depulped, pureed. I imagine about 3-4 cups of pureed pumpkin.
    - 1 cup of additiveless coconut cream
    - 4 eggs
    - for spices:
    1.5 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp ground allspice
    Half tsp ground ginger
    Half tsp vanilla extract or a pinch of vanilla seeds
    - 2-5 fresh dates depending on desired sweetness

Puree everything until smooth and pour into baking dish greased with butter. Cook in the oven for around 50 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (I think that's around 250 Fahrenheit) or until a skewer or chopstick comes out cleanish. Cover with foil if the top starts to brown too much. Serve with coconut cream blended with dates and cinnamon or with thick cream... Or both like I did

I'm contemplating adding the tiniest bit of chili next time I make it. This may sound blasphemous.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I made a crust less one the other day as well and it is almost exactly the one from "this Primal Life", except I used a combination of maple syrup and liquid steviain place of the honey. And for the "pumpkin pie spice" I used 1T of a very high quality cinnamon, 1/4tsp. each of ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg. My coconut milk is from Trader Joe's and is actually "light" but I like to use it because it is just coconut milk and water (in that order).

I made whipped cream with a pinch of the cinnamon, and a few drops of stevia to top it.

It was wonderful.

If I was to make a crust for it, I would probably just process some nuts to a small chop, add some melted butter, and a few drops of stevia, and pre-bake it.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Coconut pumpkin custard: Totally paleo, and absolutely divine. I made mine in a pie plate instead of ramekins, just had to adjust the cooking time a LOT (like an hour longer).

Tropical Traditions - Recipe - Coconut Pumpkin Custard

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Yum... I bought some more pumpkin yesterday at Trader Joe's ... such a tasty primal treat! I'm going to make some more this week.

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast