Thread: Student from Sweden page

jedanput is offline Junior Member

Student from Sweden

Hello,

A short introduction. I'm a physics/math student going on my 4th year. I've have generally been a healthy person, but have always had some problems with my stomach and being tired in general. I had some tests made a couple of years ago and they all showed that I was not gluten or lactose intolerant which led the doctors to diagnose me with mild IBS.

So, in an effort to try and "cure" the unfortunate condition, which I believe was caused by eating grain and dairy products, I browsed the web and ended up here. I tried the diet, went cold turkey and managed to do it for 2-3 months before the summer came and I allowed myself some slipups. What I can say is that my stomach problems basically went away(not entirely, but big enough for me to notice the changes).
    However, I've had one month now of not eating primal at all since I had to move in for a short while with 2 friends, and they ofc eat everything. Immeditately, I noticed my problems coming back and now, in an effort to once again redeem myself, I'm switching back, what I hope will be a permanent change! This is my 5th day of not eating primal.
    Though, I'm not completely paleo since I do occasionally have some lactose free yoghurt with my sallads/meat and I eat processed food such as meatballs, bacon sometimes etc.
    I try to compromise as much as I can since I can't eat 100% ecological meat/veggies since it doesn't quite fit my budget as a student.

The worst is alcohol. I'm not a regular drinker, I don't drink beer when I'm alone, or drink a glass of wine friday nights. However, every 2nd week, I go out with my buddies and on those occasions I consume way too much alcohol and I would like to completely remove it since I neither like the taste(except for summers when I'm barbequing meat, a cold beer is gold) or the effects it has on me when I drink too much. That's the biggest challenge for me since everyone of my friends consume alcohol and I dont want to be that guy. Anyone have any recommendation for "less harmful" alcohol?

Don't know the point of this thread actually, but I guess I just wanted to write down some thoughts.

Cheers

Libre27 is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain. Not being a drinker hurts my social life. I never craved late nights of boozing, but I do enjoy a nice buzz. Unfortunately my social life suffers as a result of my reluctance to drink, and I am "that guy." The older I get the more I don't care though. I am beginning to accept that I can find other social avenues if I really want to. I personally believe the elimination of alcohol has wonderful positive effects on my body. I can't prove that, but I do believe it. It would be nice to do 2-3 glasses of wine at night and not feel like it's causing a problem, but I am wary of any amount of sugar. I would imagine that wine and straight liquor are always better than beer. I usually go for wine or vodka.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Hey jedanput! I'm another student and know how it is to be the person at the party who doesn't drink. It's an issue I'll be covering on my site in the near future (see my signature). Not only that but I plan on creating a resource for drinking choices (which are better than others), starting to do the research/data gathering this weekend.

I'm a physics student as well, though I've now crossed the threshold into graduate school. Your thread title says you're from Sweden -- are you also in university in Sweden?

Your living situation (roommates, etc.), how does the food situation go? Do you all pitch in for food or do you buy your own?
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

jedanput is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Libre27 View Post
    I feel your pain. Not being a drinker hurts my social life. I never craved late nights of boozing, but I do enjoy a nice buzz. Unfortunately my social life suffers as a result of my reluctance to drink, and I am "that guy." The older I get the more I don't care though. I am beginning to accept that I can find other social avenues if I really want to. I personally believe the elimination of alcohol has wonderful positive effects on my body. I can't prove that, but I do believe it. It would be nice to do 2-3 glasses of wine at night and not feel like it's causing a problem, but I am wary of any amount of sugar. I would imagine that wine and straight liquor are always better than beer. I usually go for wine or vodka.
    Ya, I've noticed that too, the older you get, the more you define yourself and thus become more and more secure and all the good stuff. I wouldn't mind taking a beer with friends when out, but the thing is I think it sets me back primal wise a lot probably and I've read that you have to be without ingesting grains for quite some time(month?) for your stomach to heal. Luckily when I was in my homecountry Bosnia, my aunts who live out in the country produced slivovitz by themselves and they didn't add any sugar, just used plums to make it, so I feel safe drinking that in reasonable amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    Hey jedanput! I'm another student and know how it is to be the person at the party who doesn't drink. It's an issue I'll be covering on my site in the near future (see my signature). Not only that but I plan on creating a resource for drinking choices (which are better than others), starting to do the research/data gathering this weekend.

I'm a physics student as well, though I've now crossed the threshold into graduate school. Your thread title says you're from Sweden -- are you also in university in Sweden?

Your living situation (roommates, etc.), how does the food situation go? Do you all pitch in for food or do you buy your own?
    Yes, I study at Uppsala University. I lived in a room equipped w a kitchen for the 2.5 last year but now my 4th year I got a dorm room. Concerning the food situation, we don't share food so everyone buys on their own and eats on their own. I also find the cooking situation a lot easier when primal bc I dont have to cook potatoe/pasta/rice etc and I don't need to make complicated sallads, I just throw in sallad, broccolli, spenach, carrot etc into my plate without preparing it with vinegar, olive oil or anything. Sometimes being lazy has its merits:P