Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: An average day's food for me page 2

  1. #11
    Chris Fredericks's Avatar
    Chris Fredericks is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1
    Shop Now
    Thanks for sharing so generously, Abe! Question -- I swung by the supermarket, but the only coconut cream I could find was this stuff marketed to people who want to make Pina Coladas, which seems to be mostly carbs rather than good fats. Can you give us a little insight into what sort of coconut cream you use?

  2. #12
    Sterling Jackson's Avatar
    Sterling Jackson is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fredericks View Post
    Thanks for sharing so generously, Abe! Question -- I swung by the supermarket, but the only coconut cream I could find was this stuff marketed to people who want to make Pina Coladas, which seems to be mostly carbs rather than good fats. Can you give us a little insight into what sort of coconut cream you use?
    Chris, did you check the Hispanic/Asian section of your grocery store? I know I've found coconut cream/milk at Safeway, Target, and even Walmart. It's usually in cans at the bottom of the shelf.

    There are a couple of brands on Amazon.com that look pretty decent, too and are priced pretty well.

  3. #13
    A-Team's Avatar
    A-Team is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2

    Coconut Cream

    Tropical Traditions makes a good one, AND it's organic.

    Coconut Cream Concentrate - Tropical Traditions

  4. #14
    Isfahel's Avatar
    Isfahel is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    146
    By coconut cream do you mean coconut milk? I think you mean coconut milk as I can't imagine using the cream, which is the consistency ofpeanut butter, or thicker, in a shake. I've not found the coconut cream at Walmart but they always have 2-3 different brands of coconut milk.

  5. #15
    wedward's Avatar
    wedward is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3

    Bedtime food?

    First thanks for sharing Abe! This was a great boost for me to read about. While I don't eat or compete quite like you do, I have a full day then 2 hour BJJ sessions, then home to put the kid to sleep and eat. At 45 that's tough and find recovery the hardest part, right behind getting to sleep after that day. Can you offer any tips:
    • post dinner snacks - I'm either shoving whey in or something, and find I'm craving stuff while I wait to fall asleep - do you end it with your last meal above?
    • omega supps - fish or krill - do you use or have you seen any benefit?
    • Almond milk vs. coconut - any comparisons to offer?


    Again - thanks for sharing and for any feedback! I'll be watching and cheering for you on fight nights!

  6. #16
    arthurb999's Avatar
    arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    RI, USA
    Posts
    1,034
    Awesome Abe. Thanks for sharing.

  7. #17
    Abe Wagner's Avatar
    Abe Wagner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
    Tropical Traditions makes a good one, AND it's organic.

    Coconut Cream Concentrate - Tropical Traditions
    Yeah, I use the Tropical Traditions coconut cream. I get their coconut oil. If you check out their site regularly, they have buy 1 get 1 free all the time. Makes it super cheap.

  8. #18
    Abe Wagner's Avatar
    Abe Wagner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Isfahel View Post
    By coconut cream do you mean coconut milk? I think you mean coconut milk as I can't imagine using the cream, which is the consistency ofpeanut butter, or thicker, in a shake. I've not found the coconut cream at Walmart but they always have 2-3 different brands of coconut milk.
    Nope, I 100% meant the cream. I use the kind from Topical Traditions. And really the consistency is no different than when I used to put peanut butter in a shake (in my past life)
    Last edited by Abe Wagner; 10-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.

  9. #19
    Abe Wagner's Avatar
    Abe Wagner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by wedward View Post
    First thanks for sharing Abe! This was a great boost for me to read about. While I don't eat or compete quite like you do, I have a full day then 2 hour BJJ sessions, then home to put the kid to sleep and eat. At 45 that's tough and find recovery the hardest part, right behind getting to sleep after that day. Can you offer any tips:
    • post dinner snacks - I'm either shoving whey in or something, and find I'm craving stuff while I wait to fall asleep - do you end it with your last meal above?
    • omega supps - fish or krill - do you use or have you seen any benefit?
    • Almond milk vs. coconut - any comparisons to offer?

    Again - thanks for sharing and for any feedback! I'll be watching and cheering for you on fight nights!
    Post dinner: I make these primal "candies" with coconut oil and pure cocoa and a little bit of honey. Its pretty much straight saturated fat. It also comes in handy on days when my dinner protein source is super lean (like chicken breast) as a way to get in the fat I need.
    I use Maine Natural Health fish oil. I'm kind of anerd about things, so I compared like 5 or 6 brands and figured out what the cost per gram of EPA/DHA was and they were the best value.
    Definitely coconut milk. The fat in it is mostly saturated whereas the fat in the almond milk will be mostly O6.

  10. #20
    Trackhead's Avatar
    Trackhead is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi Abe,

    My wife and I watch quite a bit of MMA, for different reasons (she digs the guys, of course).

    Anyway, I'm curious about the culture of cutting weight. How much weight are you cutting for fights, what sort of procedure do you do for it? It seems some of the weight cuts are counter-productive to athletic performance, and I'm surprised it doesn't affect fighters more than it does.

    Anyway, thanks for answering our questions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •