Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimal calorie range for 5ft 8inch semi-active female page

catbreu is offline Senior Member

Optimal calorie range for 5ft 8inch semi-active female

Shop Now
    Hi,

So fitday says 2,200 calories and since starting it I noticed two things:

1) It is very difficult for me to get to 2,000 while primal (that happened a few times on "binge" days)
    2) My eating range seems to be at around 1,600-1,800.

Is that too much? Too little? I have never counted calories before and am very unfamiliar with the process.

Should I even be thinking about this? I would like to decrease my body fat percentage.
    Thanks!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Just because a chart says that's what you burn, that doesn't make it so. I'd focus on what your body is doing. I certainly wouldn't push myself to eat more. If your body feels sated, then that's plenty. If you don't lose fat, then it may be time to tighten up further.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Don't stress out over it. I use trackers to measure nutrients and macro ratios, but calorie counting is unnecessary and those counters (let alone estimates of what you actually eat) are often inaccurate. Listen to your body first.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I'd skip on all counting, weighing and measuring. Eat 2-3 meals a day as much as you need to feel full and make sure you cut out snacking. And ditch the scale or peek once a week, tops.

Good luck.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand how people eat so little, actually! I've seen many people comment that they can't eat 2000 calories a day on primal living, but I haven't had that problem. I come from a background of counting calories for years, but am trying to get away from it. Still, I know about how much I eat and it is definitely 2000 at least per day. And I am 5'4" 108 lbs... so I can't imagine that you should worry that you are eating too much.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    1600-1800 could be ideal, it could be too much, and it could be too little. Really, it depends on how long you've been at this level of calories, your size & activity level, and what movement on the scale (if any) you have seen in either direction.

Not enough calories can be just as detrimental to fat loss as too many, and is something to watch for, especially when making radical changes to your diet. (I had a hellofa time consciously adding fats at first, even though I'd cut back fatty prepared foods)

Eat too few calories for too long and eventually your body can slow metabolic processes down to the point where its adjusted to only burning that limited amount your eating. Your "diet" caloric intake becomes your new maintenance intake, and weight maintains, only now your burning that many calories less.
    If that wasn't enough, then you'll get someone saying..."if your not losing you must eat too much" and you cut back another 15-20%
    Rinse & Repeat for months, years, etc...
    Eventually you could end up at what BMR & calorie burn calculators might show is a +1k daily deficit, yet not losing the ~2lb weekly such a deficit should lead to.

Finding the sweet spot for you is key, and "eat until satiated" simply can lead to too much or too little food for some people depending both on their body and what they're eating
    Last edited by Fury; 10-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.

PapaGrok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchncoffee View Post
    Don't stress out over it. I use trackers to measure nutrients and macro ratios, but calorie counting is unnecessary and those counters (let alone estimates of what you actually eat) are often inaccurate. Listen to your body first.
    +1

I use paleotrack.com because I like knowing my nutrients, protein/carb intake, and n6 to n3 omega ratio. But I don't pay much attention to the calories. Carbs are what's important when trying to lose body fat.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    If you're trying to lose body fat, then don't worry about running a bit of a deficit. Those numbers are all pretty approximate anyway.

Start lifting heavy 3 times a week and you'll have no trouble eating the extra calories. (One thing people don't tell you about hitting the gym - if you work out hard, you will be hungry All. The. Time.)

Wow...thank you for the responses! I am considering lifting a few times a week. I did p90x for three weeks in the beginning of the summer and eventually stopped because I was constantly tired (chronic cardio hah). So fortunately, I do know a little bit of what to do.

I am moderately active. Although I have a "desk" job, I work in a research hospital and often climb stairs, walk back and fourth frequently between recruiting patients in clinic (on my feet the entire time), the desk and meetings. Plus, I occasionally lift heavy children (the research occurs in a pediatric ward) about twice a week.

That is impressive. If I have been eating at 1600-1800 for awhile now without losing the desired body fat, then perhaps I should try increasing? I have tried decreasing and it never works. Infact, it makes me feel terrible! The only exception is intermittent fasting which occurrs after a binge day and my body simply will not accept food until well after 24 hours from the last meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy1 View Post
    I don't understand how people eat so little, actually! I've seen many people comment that they can't eat 2000 calories a day on primal living, but I haven't had that problem. I come from a background of counting calories for years, but am trying to get away from it. Still, I know about how much I eat and it is definitely 2000 at least per day. And I am 5'4" 108 lbs... so I can't imagine that you should worry that you are eating too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast