Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Special 30-day challenge contest page

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Special 30-day challenge contest

Primal Fuel
    UPDATE: This contest has closed. By way of random drawing, commenter "Velocity" has won this contest. Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I'll see what I can do to improve MDA based on your feedback. Grok on!

Hello, everyone!

Each year during these challenges I like to sneak a special contest into the forum for forum members, and into the newsletter for newsletter subscribers (and sometimes onto Twitter and Facebook for friends there). So let's get to it...

The Prize:

Remember this contest? Contest: Make a Primal Blueprint Recipe Video | Mark's Daily Apple

Well, the guy that one it (Nacho) lives in Spain. So we won't be overnight shipping him 3 lbs of sockey salmon. Bad news for Nacho (though he'll get something else of equal value) means good news for you. Win this contest and you'll get 3 lbs of either king or sockeye salmon (your choice) from the Wild Pacific Salmon: Wild Alaska Salmon, Chinook, Coho, Sockeye Salmon and Smoked Salmon.

The Contest:

All you have to do is answer the following questions to help me understand what you like and don't like, and how I might be able to improve Mark's Daily Apple going forward:

What do you like most about Mark's Daily Apple?

What is your favorite type of article? Please rate these types on a scale from 1-10 (10 being the best): Saturday recipes, Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions), Weekend Link Love, Friday Success Stories, fitness-related feature articles, nutrition-related feature articles, guest posts. Feel free to add and rank any other article types/genres you've seen on MDA, too.

What features, if any, would you like to see added to MDA?

Would you be interested in video and/or audio/podcast content? Do you prefer written articles?

What do you dislike about MDA?

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved (navigation?, design?, post frequency?, etc.)? Tell me what you think I should continue doing, what you'd like to see me start doing, and anything else you'd like to tell me and I'll do my best to keep bringing it, daily.

A winner will be chosen by way of a random drawing this coming Monday. Thank you for your help and Grok on!
    Last edited by Mark Sisson; 10-10-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, Mark! Assuming you want our submissions posted here:

Besides the fact that it changed my life and made me into a man -- I love the community. The people who frequent this site are some of the most positive and inspiring human beings I've ever known. Reading this site every day and participating in the discussions makes me feel like a member of the most blessed tribe on earth. It's a sense of contentment and purpose our ancestors must have felt every day. I know it's irresponsible, but sometimes I can't help fantasizing about the collapse of civilization just so we could band together and live the authentic human lifestyle.

Favorite article?

Success stories (1 = favorite)
    Dear Marks (2)
    Nutrition features (3)
    Fitness features (4)
    Weekend links (5)
    Saturday recipes (6)
    Guest posts (7)

More contests and challenges. I don't always participate in them myself, but I love seeing what the community comes up with.

Podcast? Video?

I would certainly listen to a podcast once a month or so. I'm not much for videos usually. Written articles with illustrations are my favorites.

I'm racking my brains but the best I can come up with is the long time it takes to approve pictures posted in the forum.

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved?

More success stories. More updates from people with past success stories. More detail -- interviews and that sort of thing. It was the success stories that pushed me to change my own life and I never get tired of reading them.
    Last edited by Timothy; 10-07-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: missed a couple q's the first time

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member

special contest

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10:
    2 Saturday recipes,
    7 Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions),
    8 Weekend Link Love,
    10 Friday Success Stories,
    10 fitness-related feature articles,
    10 nutrition-related feature articles,
    5 guest posts

Additional features? Can't think of any; love checking in every day to see what's new.

I would love podcasts; I commute on the subway and enjoy listening to podcasts. Written articles are still my favorite.

What do you dislike about MDA? Nothing. I especially like the getting started section and frequently refer people to it.

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved: This is so minor, but improved organization of back articles so it would be easier to find old information. But in general, I find the site easy to use.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sisson View Post
    Hello, everyone!

Each year during these challenges I like to sneak a special contest into the forum for forum members, and into the newsletter for newsletter subscribers (and sometimes onto Twitter and Facebook for friends there). So let's get to it...

The Prize:

Remember this contest? Contest: Make a Primal Blueprint Recipe Video | Mark's Daily Apple

Well, the guy that one it (Nacho) lives in Spain. So we won't be overnight shipping him 3 lbs of sockey salmon. Bad news for Nacho (though he'll get something else of equal value) means good news for you. Win this contest and you'll get 3 lbs of either king or sockeye salmon (your choice) from the Wild Pacific Salmon: Wild Alaska Salmon, Chinook, Coho, Sockeye Salmon and Smoked Salmon.

The Contest:

All you have to do is answer the following questions to help me understand what you like and don't like, and how I might be able to improve Mark's Daily Apple going forward:

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10: Saturday recipes, Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions), Weekend Link Love, Friday Success Stories, fitness-related feature articles, nutrition-related feature articles, guest posts. Feel free to add and rank any other article types/genres you've seen on MDA, too.

Would you be interested in video and/or audio/podcast content? Do you prefer written articles?

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved (navigation?, design?, post frequency?, etc.)? Tell me what you think I should continue doing, what you'd like to see me start doing, and anything else you'd like to tell me and I'll do my best to keep bringing it, daily.

A winner will be chosen by way of a random drawing this coming Monday. Thank you for your help and Grok on!
    First off, Mark, there is so much to like about the site that it will be hard finding room for improvement. Overall I really like the tone. Upbeat, informal, funny, non- judgmental. I also like the underlying base of science and skeptical thought. If only mainstream nutritional science were as dedicated to critical thought processes......

I find the Friday stories incredibly inspirational and the Dear Marks always informative. I wish I had time to try the recipes. The nutrition info and fitness info rank next for me.

I prefer written articles - faster to consume than podcasts or videos.

The only thing that I have found difficult with MDA is the forum volume. I usually just hit the " what's new" button to scan. I do find that really interesting posts can get buried a few pages down really quickly if there is not an immediate buzz of replies. I'm not sure there is a cure for it; it is a frustration born of success.

Great work and great site.

OneDeltaTenTango

Yvonne PHX Guest
    What do you like most about Mark's Daily Apple? The wealth of information. The community (well, for the most part.)

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10:
    Saturday recipes 8,
    Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions) 10,
    Weekend Link Love 7,
    Friday Success Stories 10,
    fitness-related feature articles 9,
    nutrition-related feature articles 9,
    guest posts Totally Depends.

What features, if any, would you like to see added to MDA? Interactive tools: quizzes and such to help us gauge our knowledge and progress.

Would you be interested in video and/or audio/podcast content? Absolutely, although I prefer written articles.

What do you dislike about MDA? The forum could use some moderators. There is some whackadoodle advice in here sometimes. I may even have offered some myself.

Thank you, Mark. This site is an incredible resource. We appreciate what you do!

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    What do you like most about Mark's Daily Apple? Wow, there is so much to love about MDA! I enjoy the content, the people, the positive feeling that I get from reading everything. I could go on and on!

Saturday recipes, 6
    Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions), 8
    Weekend Link Love, 8
    Friday Success Stories, 10
    fitness-related feature articles, 10
    nutrition-related feature articles, 10
    guest posts. 8
    Feel free to add and rank any other article types/genres you've seen on MDA, too.

What features, if any, would you like to see added to MDA? Can't think of anything. I'm always up for more sucess stories! (Although, I can find plenty in the forums!)

Would you be interested in video and/or audio/podcast content? Do you prefer written articles? A video or podcast once in a while would be great! I think you are a fantastic speaker so it would be great. Overall though, I prefer written.

What do you dislike about MDA? Absolutely nothing!

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved (navigation?, design?, post frequency?, etc.)? Tell me what you think I should continue doing, what you'd like to see me start doing, and anything else you'd like to tell me and I'll do my best to keep bringing it, daily. Mark, this site is awesome! You and your worker bees bring so much to us as it is that I wouldn't change a thing! Thank you for what you do!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    What do you like most about Mark's Daily Apple?: Beyond, of course, the amazing support community that flourishes here, and the awesome articles you write and post for us, I really like the layout! I've seen bad forums, and this is not one. The sub-forums make sense from an organizational standpoint and the search option works!

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10: Wait rank or rate? There aren't 10 so I'm assuming you mean rate (as in, not related to one another in their listing, and 10 being awesome, not your least favorite).
    Saturday recipes, 7, would love some simpler recipes or a "difficult" rating for us cooking-impaired.
    Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions), 10+++, it's always wonderful to see your personal responses to the lost sheep.
    Weekend Link Love, 1, mostly because I can't ever figure out those darn brain teasers! You guys are way too smart for me
    Friday Success Stories, 10, so inspirational!
    fitness-related feature articles, 5, not really interested in them at this point, as I'm going my own way with fitness, but I do appreciate the effort & keep it all in mind.
    nutrition-related feature articles, 9, anything that can help explain why this way of life works to my friends and family is good in my book.
    guest posts, 10, always great to see who else is out there in the paleo/primal world.

What features, if any, would you like to see added to MDA? We could really use some moderators or someone to specifically address when there are issues with a particular user or spambot.

Would you be interested in video and/or audio/podcast content? Do you prefer written articles? I prefer written since I do most of my browsing while at work I would definitely listen to your podcasts though!

What do you dislike about MDA? Uh, pretty much nothing! Just some of the people here, but that can't be helped. They are as welcome here as I am.

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved (navigation?, design?, post frequency?, etc.)? Tell me what you think I should continue doing, what you'd like to see me start doing, and anything else you'd like to tell me and I'll do my best to keep bringing it, daily. Lack of moderators, which results in a wild cast of newbies asking the same questions over and over. I don't want to deny anyone access to any of these amazing resources, but maybe something to limit new users until they've read some introductory material... Or a big forum with a "READ THIS FIRST" section with links to popular threads or articles for dealing with plateaus, supplements, weight-gain and other common topics. I would like to break up the journal section a bit too, maybe with a sub-sub-forum for just doing challenges, as opposed to everyday/ongoing support & recording.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    The people who frequent here on the forums and in the comments section of your blog posts. This is the best site for primal/paleo people to get feedback and not feel so alone. (IRL, it’s a small, small world out there for many of us PBers. )

4 Saturday recipes
    9 Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions)
    4 Weekend Link Love
    10 Friday Success Stories
    8 fitness-related feature articles
    9 nutrition-related feature articles
    7 guest posts

I’d like there to be a feature for finding fellow PBers and primal stores in our communities. (Kind of like how there’s a site that lists paleo doctors in your area and another site that has a map featuring primal people by zip code.) I’m grateful for Mark’s Daily Apple and have no plans of straying, but would be stoked to find primal people IRL.

I do not like audio podcasts and videos because often it’s a ruckus in my house and I end up missing much of the conversation. Reading text at my own pace wins, hands down.

LOL, is this a trick question? Umm, well…let’s see…oh, I guess sometimes the spam posters can annoy me, but not really. Sorry, that’s all I got at the moment.

As far as improvement goes, I’d like to see you posting here on the forum more often. But I understand that the MDA blog and whatnot keeps you pretty busy, so it’s more of a wish on my part than an actual expectation. Ooh, just thought of one thing I’d really like to see more of…The Unconquerable Dave updates. He’s just precious! And updates of other success stories would be cool.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    The community. There is so much advice and assistance available on this website either in the form of articles or tips from other users. Plus, it's generally a good natured crowd with a decent sense of humor...so it's fun visiting.

Saturday recipes--7
    Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions)--6
    Weekend Link Love--10
    Friday Success Stories--10
    fitness-related feature articles--9
    nutrition-related feature articles--9
    guest posts--5
    Feel free to add and rank any other article types/genres you've seen on MDA, too. I miss the satirical articles...where did those go?

Some kind of forum moderation...
    Ideally this would be some huge and mean looking dude who asks everyone if they've tried to search for an already existing thread on what they are about to post. If someone hasn't, they have to go back and see how many carbs they're 'allowed' to have as recommended several times before. If they have, then let the new topics cometh.

I prefer the written articles...they let me go at my pace, click on interesting links, and easily bounce back and forth between other things. Plus, I can read and still listen to music.

My first instinct here is to say nothing, but I know that's not helpful. So, I guess I have to echo my earlier comment about the forums needing some moderation. There is a lot of repetition of topics, sometimes multiple threads on the same things in one day. It would just be easier to navigate if people used the search tool more.

Just keep it up. This site is fun, educational and easily accessible. It's my go to site. i love it.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Everybody is willing to help you figure out what your body needs if you have questions. There's always some new article that people post and discuss about and I always love hearing everyone's opinions.

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10: Saturday recipes, Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions), Weekend Link Love, Friday Success Stories, fitness-related feature articles, nutrition-related feature articles, guest posts.
    I love success stories! They really keep me motivated, especially the articles supplemented with pictures!
    Saturday recipes: 8
    Dear Marks: 10
    Weekend Link Love: 6
    Friday Success Stories: 10
    Fitness-related features: 8
    Nutrition-related features: 8
    Guest posts: 7

It would be cool to upload a fat-carb-protein system to the website and integrate it with posts.

I prefer written articles because it is easier for me to focus when I am reading than watching someone talk. Plus I read a lot faster than the average person, so I get through things quicker too!

The spam is kind of annoying in the forums, but otherwise I love this site! Although not enough recipes organized together!

I would like to see a higher post frequency, but that is probably not plausible given how busy you are. But I agree with how great this site is already. It's one of my default pages when I open Chrome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast